Today Pres. Obama came out in support of gay/lesbian marriage. And Mitt Romney reaffirmed that he is against it - and against civil unions as well. It was an interesting drive back from the library as I listened to NPR's coverage of the whole issue. With the way that some gays and lesbians reacted, you would think that those of us who oppose the issue don't feel they are quite human, or that they don't deserve a good life too with possibilities of many joys (i.e. marriage and children).
I believe that all people on the earth are sons and daughters of an eternal God who loves each of them. I believe that their spirits are the spirit children of that God. The course of nature for human beings as God set it out is that a man and a woman together are able to procreate. That is nature. That is fact. I understand that many people have strong and undeniable feelings of romance and even love toward others of their same sex. But I also believe that it was a "cross" given them to bare in this life - just as some are given tendencies toward alcohol, anger, drugs, or violence. I don't believe that it needs to be cured. I don't believe that it's a disease. But I do believe that it is a vice just like anger or drugs. I believe they are right when they say that they are born like that - but it doesn't mean that they are meant, by the natural laws of nature and God, to act upon those tendencies.
I believe in agency. I know that most people with these inborn/chosen tendencies choose to act upon them and accept them as "who they are". That is their choice. But every time you make a choice, there is a consequence. A natural consequence. If you choose to love your same sex, the natural consequence is that you cannot and should not have children. It is a natural fall out of the choice. In the same respect, if you choose to lead an unconventional life as a gay/lesbian then naturally you are giving up the ability to have that lifestyle in a conventional way.
I believe that gay/lesbian people have a right to a happy life with all of it's joys, but only insofar as their choices allow them. If they want certain joys to be theirs - marriage and children - then they should take a look at their choices and what sorts of natural consequences are in store for them.
I'm grateful for the chance to choose my fate. I make a lot of choices based on what sort or consequences are attached to them. But please don't tread on my agency by imposing a "choose your own ending" disregard for natural consequences and making a mockery of God. God does not issue refunds or exchanges on consequences. And that leads to an entirely different subject that may or may not be discussed at a later date.
3 comments:
Wonderfully put! You explained it in a way I have been struggling to put into words whenever this debate comes up. Bravo! I agree with you whole-heartedly. :)
Oo I just respect you more and more. So perfectly said. I love it. And I agree completely. I am grateful that more and more people are understanding and recognizing they are children of God too with feelings just like us. Good read. Thanks :)
It's so refreshing to read something like this, when I feel like the majority of what I see/hear in the media is so pro-gay marriage. We need more people like you - not afraid to stand up for what's right, while being loving and respectful. I think that's the key.
ps - totally unrelated - what's your email address? I'd curious to know - if you don't mind sharing - what your breastfeeding experiences were. Just for my own knowledge and experience, because I want to learn as much as I can. chelseamckell@gmail.com
But if you don't want to share, no prob :)
Post a Comment