Monday, April 11, 2011

Thoughts for the Day

I was reading my scriptures last night in 1 Nephi where he has to spell everything out to Laman and Lemuel. As I read I thought, "They get everything explained to them and they still fall away on a consistent basis! I wonder if they ever gained a testimony? I hope my kids have enough of a testimony to stay stronger. Maybe they can be like Sam." Then I pondered about my kids knowing enough to not be Laman and Lemuels. I have a huge responsibility as a mother. So much to teach and they have so much to learn. I really hope they learn it from the right venues and in the right way.

"I shouldn't have to tell you four times!" I often say this to my kids in frustration if they haven't been listening to me and it was a simple task or request to perform. But my thoughts caught me off guard today when I heard my conscience asking in reply, "Do you respond the first time when your Heavenly Father asks you to do something or behave a certain way?" I was humbled and reminded that I MUST have more patience with my kids. They deserve a sporting and equal chance in this life to succeed too. What if they loose the desire to succeed simply because they know I will loose my cool if they don't respond the first time? That would be no less than a tragedy. I'm reminded of the servant who owed a debt, was forgiven the debt, and then refused to forgive another his debts. It certainly made me scrutinize my relationship with the Lord and with my kids more closely.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

This is good food for thought!

Emily Petty said...

Good thoughts. I feel the same much of the time.