Monday, December 17, 2012

Guilt

This morning I sent Bekah to school with only half of her homework finished.  I'm trying not to feel guilty about it.  Normally I would keep her off the bus and scramble to finish before I had to drive her to school.  But the flip side of this problem is that she also needs to learn how to be an instigator to take care of her responsibilities.  So I'm trying to balance the need for parental help and the necessary skill of personal motivation.  We've never turned homework in uncompleted before. 

It just wasn't worth the stress right before Christmas break after an already stressful and full weekend.

2 comments:

chelsea mckell said...

Have you read the Love and Logic Magic book? So good. It talks about things like this - letting children experience natural consequences, while the consequences are small and manageable. So that when a similar situation happens years down the road and the consequences of not finishing an assignment are much greater, she'll have already learned her lesson.
Probably didn't say that as well as the book does.... but basically - good job, mom!

Jennifer said...

Sounds like Love and Logic. Great parenting, in my opinion!