When I pictured my future at age 34 it didn't include that year that seems so distant from the years I was born and growing up.... But it did include motherhood.
This weekend has been so very close to perfect. We could have been on time for church today - I could've listened better to the speakers in church - I could've jumped on the trampoline with my kids. But still it was nearly perfect.
Friday night is date night. We're big Dave Ramsey fans so after paying off our debt, we have been trying to diligently live within our means. This month it meant not having any money for date nights. So we went to a park. We discovered that a high school was nearby having a track meet and they weren't charging entrance fees, so that was half our date! It's good to be in that high school atmosphere again. I don't yearn to do those years over, but the vibrancy of youth, the reminder that our bodies are strong, and the memories of all that I did as a child were strong topics of conversation for the rest of the night. We watched a few heats and walked back to the park. We then walked around the lake and talked - a lot. Though we've been married for 11 years, I learned new things about Michael that night. And it helped me understand him, and especially our children, much better. I've asked him to remind me of that conversation when my expectation is for the kids to be/react/act exactly like I did as a kid or teen. 'Cause they won't always be just like me. We both had Target gift cards and stopped to get some ice cream. After taking the babysitter home we watched a movie, ate ice cream and went to bed thoroughly satisfied with our day.
I wish I would've finished this post, but I want to remember the little bit I did manage to write. This night occurred in May of 2014.
No comments:
Post a Comment