It began as I rolled over and realized that Michael was still in bed beside me. His alarm had gone off already and I couldn't remember how long it'd been since then. "Did you know that you've slept through your alarm, hon?" Rustling of the sheets as he rolls over and checks the clock. "(moan.) I have to leave in about 10 min!" So up I come out of my warm bed from which my head seems to be glued. I put together some clothes for him after turning on that very brutal first light of morning and he sets to shaving knowing that he doesn't have time for a shower. Then I head upstairs to put together the lunch that we both forgot to do the night before. I decided on the leftovers from Texas Roadhouse because they were easy and I knew he'd like them. Even made cinnamon toast for his breakfast. I came back down and announced what I'd done - rather pleased with myself and was met with a grimace. "Those ribs will be really hard to eat in a hurry over this white shirt . . ." Guess I hadn't gotten enough of my morning exercise. I began the assent again to change his lunch. Fortunately, he got off on time and the immediate rush was over.
The rest of the day was rather slow. I accomplished a lot, but nothing terribly out of the ordinary. Noon came and we were to go out to a farm to pick pumpkins to carve/color with the kids. So we packed up and went. We were about half way there when we hit a new elementary school that was not there when I'd lived here before. I looked for speed limit signs and flashing lights on purpose. Saw that there was a 35 mph sign, but did not see a flashing light. So I continued on. About 3 min later I noticed a cop tailing me with his lights on and was totally taken by surprise. I pulled over without a clue as to what I'd done wrong. "How're we doing today?" he asks. Honestly!?? You pull me over and I have a good chance of needing to sign over a chunk of my checking account to the state/city government and you want to know how I'm doing? "I clocked you going 57 in a 35 mph school zone with a flashing light. Did you know that?" "I'm so sorry sir. I saw the sign, and I even looked for a light, but I didn't see one. I'm very sorry." I handed over my license, registration, and an old insurance card (who ever manages to have all three in the car and current anyway?), explained that we'd just moved here (registration was still from St. George), and awaited my fate. My insurance was current, but I still have no idea where the current card is. This was bad. Speeding in a school zone was next to a construction zone. Doomed. He came back and I held my breath. "Well, because you saw the sign and just missed the flashing light, I'll let you off on a warning for the speeding and your insurance. ("Oh, thank you so much!") Since you just moved here, you'll need to update your car registration with Idaho, but the good news is that it's cheaper here. ("That's what I've heard. I've very grateful for that.") You have a good day ma'am." Someone up there loves me. That's all I have to say. It turned out to be a decent day after all. We managed to make it home without incident and with pumpkins in hand. We even managed to carve one later that night.
3 comments:
You are so nice to make lunches. My husband makes his every day, EVERY day. I don't remember ever making one.
Whew! That was a close call. I'd change my plates right away...I think that's usually half the problem in Rexburg, seriously.
I am going right now to FHE to do some carving of my own! I am excited!
SO glad that you didn't get a ticket. Where in the world were you? Because that certainly wasn't 57 in REXBURG... I didn't think anyone could go that fast!
Whew!!! You are so darn lucky, girl!!! If in Texas, you would be gettin'a whoopin' I am glad your day was just a full and filling like mine. Hang in there!
Post a Comment