Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Event of the Past


This used to be a house. Bekah took dance over the school year from Wendy. Both my younger sisters have taken from her for years and I'd venture to say that she's the most used dance instructor in Rexburg. Three years ago she built her dream house just outside of Rexburg with a dance studio attached. It was a fabulous facility/house. When conference weekend approached we had a wind advisory warning of 40+ mph winds. Their family was just settling down to watch the first session of conference when Wendy opened the garage door to put out the trash and was met by a wall of flames engulfing their garage. They pulled their wits together enough to get themselves and their six children out of the house just in time. They had "block insulation" which apparently is highly flammable stuff and as soon as the cars had finished exploding, the rest of the house was gone in less than an hour aided by the wind speed. The fire department could do no more than contain the flames from spreading. They lost everything but the clothes on their backs.
To add to the trouble, the week previous had been spent taking dance pictures of each class and individual in specially-made costumes that were also burned. A recital was scheduled for three weeks later! What would I have done if in this predicament? Sat down and cried - then I would have prayed for a very long time - hugged my children a lot - then cried and prayed some more. I would have been at a total loss.
I wanted to write this down for memory's sake. It reminded me of what was important (and what's not). It taught me some valuable lessons about how to prepare for this particular catastrophe.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I cried when I heard about the situation, I cried when I was told of the recitals events and how it still happened, and I am crying reading this blog. That would be so hard! I don't know if I would have been as faithful... I would like to think that I would! I hope that I learn from this!

Liz said...

That is so humbling and a good reminder of what is important in life!