I've always been grateful for the experiences that Bekah's heart condition have brought us. Some have been VERY difficult, others rewarding, and some simply different and enlightening. But I never thought that the things I learned while caring for her would ever have to apply to another one of my children.
Last night I got home by 9 p.m. from a RS activity. We were just going to head to bed when we hear a seal bark coming though the monitor. I assumed it was Andrew because he'd been at it for a few nights now. I went in to check and found Patrick sitting up in bed with his arms reaching in front of him, spit streaming from his mouth and in a panic to breathe. I rushed him to the bathroom for light, the toilet, and further examining. He was gasping for air. His stomach contracted with each labored breath that came only every 10 seconds or so. His face was contorted with fear, confusion, and pain. He coughed frequently and succumbed to the vomiting that so often accompanies violent coughing. Michael rushed to get the nebulizer and I tried to comfort him. As Michael turned it on, I realized that his breathing wasn't getting any better and that we had to rush him outside pronto. I wondered in my heart for a split second if I was going to loose my son to suffocation. I panicked so Michael got him outside to the 15 degree weather. He was wrapped in blankets, and coats with my slippers on his feet and slowly his breathing got better. Michael held him for a good 40 minutes outside on the doorstep.
It was then that gratitude flooded over me and I knew that my little boy would be okay. I was grateful for a husband who understood the seriousness of the situation. He had been there with Bekah and knew how to handle things in the same way I did. I had a husband who was willing to sit outside in that cold holding Patrick and sincerely concerned for him. All thoughts of bed had been pushed as far from his mind as they were from mine. The rest of my family tried to pitch in and help wherever they could.
Eventually we froze out the basement and, huddled in blankets, went to sleep. I was grateful for a husband and brother who were worthy and willing to give Patrick a blessing even when he responded with a firm "NO!". (The FHE lesson on priesthood blessings will happen tonight. Hopefully he'll better understand what's going on afterward.) I'm grateful for a son who trusts his parents to help him and do what's best for him. I love my family.
4 comments:
Oh my goodness, how scary. So glad that he's ok - and amen to being thankful for priesthood blessings.
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why was the cold, dry air the solution? Was it croup? Glad you were both paying attention to your past experience and I'm sure the Spirit had something to do with it.
Having a Dr. in the family is awesome! When Bekah had a similar breathing problem before we found out her lungs were swollen just from a regular virus. The cold air would reduce the swelling and help her breath better but bundled up so she didn't catch pneumonia. He also recommended this when she had a 1 hr long dry, tickling cough that wouldn't stop. Hot, steamy bathrooms with the shower going are more often than not, NOT the right answer. Cold dry air will reduce the swelling of the inflamed lung tissue. It seemed right and worked for Patrick too.
wow. And somehow this didn't get out amongst our many conversations this week...
Post a Comment