Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Conley's in Cleveland

Ages ago there was a young man who had fallen in love.  He wanted to ask his girl to marry him and made all the arrangements to do so in a place that had particular sentimental value.  He wished to document this event so as to prove that she really did say "yes" (or so he hoped) and so they could both watch the event for years to come.  He recruited his roommate to record in an unseen place.  The day arrived and both young men were nervous.  In fact, the recording roommate seemed to be more nervous than the one proposing!  Each took their places and played out their parts.  Fortunately, she said "yes" and all ended well!  - Or so they thought. 
The wedding took place and the roommate attended the reception (he was invited to the wedding, but had a flat tire on the way that prevented him from being there earlier).  All were happy.  A few months later the happy couple watched the video of the proposal only to find that it was unwatchable.  This poor roommate was so nervous that the video shook enough to make any seaworthy sailor loose his lunch! 
Unfortunately, they lost touch with the roommate despite an unusually strong connection.  Each went on with their lives.  Then Linked-In came about and a beautiful thing happened!  The two young men from years ago were able to reconnect through this internet tool!  Both were joyed at the prospect of seeing each other again - and especially so when they learned that in all the places to live in the wide world, they happened to live 4 hours apart!
And so it was that the Hohmann family went on their first trek to visit the recording roommate Jared and his family!  We were thrilled to see him again and meet his family.  After we'd lost touch, he'd gotten married and now had three kids of his own.  We all seemed to get along well.  We weren't able to stay too long, and frankly wished it could have been longer, but I suppose that leaving wanting more is better than to overstay your welcome.  Our kids got along well, the wives enjoyed each other's company and I think the men THOROUGHLY enjoyed getting together again.  There were so many times in reliving old memories that one of them would say, "Oh that's right!  I'd forgotten we did that!  That was a blast!"  It was almost like we were in college again. 
In our last few hours together we visited Kirtland, OH.  This was my first church history site besides those in SLC.  I loved the experience. 

This was our only picture from the whole weekend.  Sad that it's the only one, but at least it's a good one.  I don't know how much the kids gleaned from the experience, but I think they enjoyed it.  I definitely learned a few new things and gained more respect for the early day saints.  It was interesting enough that I didn't realize how cold I was until I got back inside and started to thaw out.  It was the first weekend in November, after all!  I should count myself lucky that we weren't trudging through snow.  We shared lunch on the Kirtland temple grounds before parting to come home.  Next time we'll tour the temple and a few other things from there or Cleveland.  We hope to see them relatively often before Jared finishes medical school and goes off to start his career.  Thanks for a great weekend Jared, Heather, Abby, Will, and Thomas!

3 comments:

chelsea mckell said...

Very small world! Great story. Stories kinda like this have happened to me through Facebook. Which is why, though I really don't like most aspects of it, I'll always keep my account active on there. Social networking can make the world a better place! :)

Hannah said...

Yeah... I'm so used to FL that I decided to run a 1/2 on that weekend. Brilliant.

I'm glad you got to meet up and do this little church history excursion!

peterfam said...

whoa, we live right around there too! We we could love to see you guys!
Let us know if your coming back this way!