Thursday, July 19, 2012

"I smell disease...."

We love our new house.  It's well built, it's a perfect size - even room for growing.  We love our view of the woods.  We have cardinals, robins and hummingbirds that flit back and forth constantly.  But now we have mice. 

I found two dead in the basement after they got into our food storage.  Fortunately, they didn't eat/destroy too much.  But it was enough that I am now wondering how I'm going to get away with storing anything besides those bulky #10 cans.  And I was now worried about sending our kids down there to play without supervision. 


So we set traps last night.  The kids were fascinated by the whole process, but they did understand that they needed to stay away from the traps.  This afternoon they wanted me to go check to see if we'd caught a mouse.  sniff, sniff.  "I smell disease.  Do you smell disease, Mommy?"  No.  sniff, sniff.  "I smell a mouse."  Then Andrew:  sniff, sniff.  "Ma-ee, I mew ma-oo."(Mommy, I smell a mouse.)  I had to stiffle my giggles.  I told them I'd let Daddy check when he got home. 

He did.  And we caught one.  It was still alive when Michael found it.  He had to smack it with a block to kill it so he could pick it up.  Bleh.  Hopefully the numbers we catch will die down eventually.  We'll see.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I am so sorry! Yuck! However, I do know from my sister Val that you get used to killing them :D

Kat Curtis said...

Oh no! :( Mice would not be my favorite thing to find. I hope that isn't a chronic thing you have to deal with - hopefully they will not hang around too long. *Shudder.*

Hannah said...

GROSS!! This is not an excuse to get a cat. That's all I got to say.