"So are you doing anything fun this weekend? What'cha got going on?"
(Usually his response is something like this):
"Well, I gotta mow the lawn, then I'll hang with the kids, probably jump on the trampoline a bit and help Rachael clean a bathroom. Then Sunday we'll go to church. Nothing spectacular."
But the first weekend in October and April are always different:
"Twice a year our prophet and all the other leaders of the church speak to us. We call it General Conference and we watch it together as families. We'll be doing that Saturday and Sunday."
"Oh...."
"WAIT! --- This lasts ALL weekend!!???"
"No. It's part of Saturday and part of Sunday."
"Phew! That's a lot of church-goin'!"
I used to think it was as a kid. And admittedly, it's still long by the time we get to Sunday afternoon session if the kids haven't been coping well. But they did well this time, I didn't fall asleep, and we were able to stay home without any sort of pressure to do anything or be anywhere. It was nice. On top of all of that we were instructed by a Prophet of God. Here are a few pictures from the weekend:
I tried to make these cool glasses for the kids in between sessions. It took WAY too long. I gave up after this pair. They had such great potential. :(
Each of the kids had pictures of the apostles to cut out and paste on a different paper. Then they would color in a blank tie to the right of their picture according to what they were wearing during the talk. Bekah and Patrick really got into this.
What's Conference without coloring?
So I'm pregnant - I'll leave it at that instead of some disparaging comment.... The kids are cute!
Michael was trying desperately to get some work finished in between sessions. It must be Satan's fault that Conference weekend always seems to be when deadlines and important things for school/work need to be finished. He really wants to distract us!
This was the biggest hit. I put snack foods into six cups and then randomly chose words that I thought would crop up frequently during Conference. Each time they heard that word, the kids could get a snack. The only word that wasn't really used much was obedience.
My cute boys.
I was so impressed with Rebekah. She stayed in the room to listen to all 4 sessions of conference - even when the boys were playing. She is growing up so fast. She may have stayed with us just to get some alone time with us, but I'm okay with that too. :) I love being in families and know that it is an institution appointed by God. I learned a lot and felt the mercy of the Lord extended to me to cover so many of the things that I lack. The Atonement is tangible and real. I truly hope I have the courage next April to invite someone to listen in with us and feel the spirit.








1 comment:
Love this! Your conference weekend is so much more exciting with little kiddos. I didn't realize how boring ours really is without kids! Haha. Your kids are darling. You're such a cute mommy!
Post a Comment