Friday, January 25, 2013

An Odd Phenomenon

Many of us understand what it means to shovel snow from a driveway.  Many of us have accomplished the task single-handedly about 5 days a week for 5 months of the year.... (we won't mention which state cursed me with that opportunity).  So even if you've only ever shoveled a small dusting off, you will relate. 
You don't bundle up to shovel.  I used to - until I realized that I work hard enough to sweat and I just end up shedding all my layers until I'm left with the clothing I started in.  All the extras I need are a sweatshirt/jacket, gloves and closed-toed shoes.  But it's been long enough since I shoveled that I forgot about one oddity.  My torso warms right up as I shovel.  My arms and fingers ache as I shovel.  But my legs and buttocks don't get either of those benefits.  I never realize how cold the rest of my body is until I come inside to use the restroom and my warm torso touches my freezing lower extremedies.  Wowza! 
 I did finally thaw out, but my legs and backside are still leaking cold through my jeans.  I may have to spend the evening curled up under a blanket or two.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I so know this feeling! It is not just an occurrence for shoveling snow... it happened to me regularly when I walked around BYUI campus!