Friday, February 13, 2009

Gratitude Unexpected

Utah is having a food drive for the food bank tomorrow.

I took my brown paper bag to my pantry not really expecting to fill it with much else than a few small cans of peanut butter. To my surprise, I had a lot more that I felt we could do without. More that I thought others could need more than we do. There are many times I look at my shelves and wonder what in the world I'm to cook for dinner. Nothing looks good. But going through this exercise made me realize how much we really do have. Nothing may look good on a particular night, but we have food. We have a lot of food. If we couldn't buy anything, we'd be able to survive for much longer than a week. I had gratitude fill my heart for my many blessings. Michael still has his job, we have food on the table, and we have ample monetary income to allow us to pay our bills. Now I just need to do a better job of showing my gratitude to my Heavenly Father and I think I could rightly be called a "good steward" of my blessings. (?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael,
This is Angelina Petrella....was wanting to add you guys to my blog....that way I cn keep in touch with the two of you through blog.
Angelina Petrella

Generational stitcher said...

I use Freecycle and a few months ago, back when gas was outrageous, someone asked for food, and thinking that we would have a little, got serious about what these people could use, seeing as they were humble enough to ask. I pulled out 3 boxes of pantry stuff and 1 out of our freezer. I had alot of the same feelings that you talk about here. Honestly I don't even know what I gave her, but she was all but in tears when she saw how much their was, since I had told her I would make it worth her while to come. It was a very nice experience.