Friday, February 6, 2009

Light bulb moments

Think figuratively here about the light bulb . . .

We got to go to the temple this week and it's been way too long. I learn something new every time and this time was no different. I learned about the law of consecration. I was pondering on certain issues and prayers within my heart and it occured to me that there are many more aspects of this law than I'd ever considered before. I always interpreted it to mean my "time" to serve in my calling or in the temple or as a mother, my "talents" in music or otherwise, and whatever other worldly possessions I had to give to the building up of the Kingdom of God. But there are little things too that are so much more crucial to the building of the kingdom. For example: I watched someone's baby the other morning so they could go to a counseling session, others watching my children to allow me the time to go to the temple, sticking your neck out and being a friend, giving up your time to go visiting teaching or to stop by for an "extra" visit during the month (in my opinion these should happen regardless of whether or not you're assigned to a person). These actions are all part of building those around us. We are supportive and allow them to become better in the gospel or their personal lives by assisting. We help them feel important and like they "belong" to something worthwhile - like they are worth the effort. Wouldn't that be how our Heavenly Father would have us treat each other? I've found that so many people need friends and good neighbors and don't have them. We need to swallow our pride and be willing to feel a fool to help someone feel needed or wanted. 90% of the time we will be right and it will be well worth feeling foolish for a short time. It's not just new people in church or in your neighborhood who need friends. Building the Kingdom of God includes all those around us. Member or non-member, single or married, child or adult, Christian or not. I have a testimony that the Lord expects us and hopes that we will treat all of His children with kindness and as if they really do need help in one way or another. You never know when you may be sent as the angel in disguise, so try to be one on purpose. :)

No comments: