Sunday, June 14, 2009

My Gift From God

I'm filled with gratitude today for the blessing of music in my life. I've known for a long time that I had a gift. But when you're young, it's most often referred to as a talent. Being young, I had a hard time differenciating between the two words, but I've learned that there is a significant difference. A talent suggests to me that you did the work to attain it. That it belongs to you and you alone. To me it means that the credit for it's beauty, perfection, or any benefits from it should be given to the person.

It wasn't until I was in college that I better understood more fully that God gives each of us gifts and to recognize ALL of them. Those blessed with musical ability seem to get singled out more often than others for their gifts. I've met people who have the gift of speech: they either speak well in front of others or have the gift of being able to speak to anyone about anything and help them feel comfortable. I've met people with an incredible gift with crafts. They are able to see things that I cannot and make treasures with simple things. I've know people who have the gift of organization. This one I'm trying desperately to learn more about. Others have an incredible gift of love. And still others have the gift of humility and optimism. All of these benefit mankind and that's where my definition of a gift comes in.

A gift is something that God has given you as a strength in this life that you might use it to benefit those around you. That you might use your gift to edify and build up the kingdom of God. I feel so very humble when I think of my gift in that way. I have been lifted to heights that I cannot describe and that I know I cannot again attain by myself when I use my gift in the way I know it was intended by God. There have been times in which I felt I was able to speak from my soul to the soul of another.

I sang in church today. And I wasn't struck so much by my nerves or the fact that I made it through without crying. I was overcome with gratitude for the people who jumped up to help my kids who were sitting by themselves, by those who gave me smiles of encouragement, and by the hope that somewhere in the congregation there was someone who was better able to feel the spirit because of the gift I was willing to share. I was incredibly grateful for the chance to add to the spirit of the meeting. I'm overwhelmed by the good it does my soul to share of myself through my gift. It makes me humble. Then people tell me how good it was in the hallway and I'm honestly not sure how to answer them. All I can say is "thank you" because it's not my talent - it's a gift of God that was shared through me.


P.S. As a matter of opinion, I believe that all gifts can also be learned with hard work, prayer, and a strong desire to better one's self. So if you want to sing better or want to be more crafty, find someone who's been given that gift and glean from them as much as you can. You may never reach the level of competency that you wish, but God will see your efforts and bless you for them. In the meantime, rejoice in the gifts he HAS given you and use them for edify others.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thanks for sharing Rachael. That was a good reminder of what is possible and available.