Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Ultrasound





I didn't sleep past 4 a.m. I was so very anxious that I could hardly function. I wasn't like this with the other two kids and I hope it never happens again.

Long and short of it - we're having a boy! One of the pictures is a 3-D one. Michael doesn't like it. He thinks it makes the sweet little baby look like a monster. But it's growing on me. He certainly looks like one of ours. It was so relieving to find it was only one, that it was healthy from what they could tell, and that he was growing appropriately. We'll find out about possible heart defects in a few weeks at Primary Children's Hospital.

The only drawback is that they did find a cyst on his brain which is sometimes a sign of Chromosome 17 and is fatal. The Dr. said that 90% of the time it goes away, so he'll check in another 10 weeks. It will be interesting to see if Primary Children's finds it too. If not, then I think we'll be in the clear.

____________________
BTW - for those wondering, I'm due on my birthday. November 27th. Fun stuff!!

8 comments:

Meg said...

Congratulations! How fun to have two boys! We'll be thinking about you guys the next few weeks - hope everything goes well at your next ultrasounds.

Kimball and Marianne Larsen said...

Oh Rachel, I hope that there is nothing there! Don't you wish sometimes that they wouldn't tell you anything when there's a 90% chance of it going away?! Just don't think about it too much for the next little while and keep us updated when you get the next ultrasound. Can't wait to see you in a week or so!

The Gartin Family said...

Hey, congrats on a boy. When I started having problems with my pregnancy, going in for ultrasounds were so fun and interesting. Seeing the baby there and in awe of such a miracle. Keep us posted on the ultrasound reports. Stay strong!!!!

Melyssa said...

Two boys!!! You will be a busy mama! :) I see little boys at the park and wonder how their moms keep up with them. I think moms of boys are physically exhausted and the moms of girls are emotionally exhausted (hee hee). Like the above comments - try not to think too much about the next ultrasounds and get some rest. You are in my thoughts/prayers.

Carrie said...

Congradulations Rachel!!! My friend had the same thing where they found a cyst on the brain and it went away and she has a completely normal and happy baby boy. I am sure it doesn't help the worrying though. We will keep you in our prayers.

Tiffany said...

congrats, boys really are fun and full of life believe me i know! Hope all goes well its always a little unnerving when they tell you such things.

Generational stitcher said...

Taylor, my 6 yo had one of those cysts. It went away, but out here you have to go through all sorts of "counseling" and by the time we got through everything, it was gone.

Congrats on the boy!! My sister had her first baby on her birthday :)

Hannah said...

Um... the first picture? It looks like something George Lucas would put in a Star Wars film... hahaha! Can't wait to meet my nephew! He will be like 3 by the time I meet him. GAY!