Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Our Lives

are very crazy. I feel like I have to schedule my bathroom breaks. Mostly, I don't feel like there's an order to things. We've GOT to get this family back out on our own for my sanity. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen before next summer. I'm praying for a lot of patience and understanding. It's not that anything is wrong, per se -- I just need my own identity, space, and say so in how my life goes. Enough about that for now.

I love Mikey's job because he loves it and because he's good at it. It's also pretty stable as jobs go nowadays. But I hate the uncertainty of it all. Several weeks ago we had scheduled to meet Michael's parents in SLC for a visit and ended up going down for an interview for a promotion and hunting for housing for a day on the chance that we might be moving back down. Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled about the possibility, but it just wasn't the way I was planning on spending that time. Aaaannnndddd here we are back in Rexburg. Lovely.

I swore I would go nuts if I had to spend another winter in this icelandic place. But then I have to remind myself that last winter I'd just had a baby, was stuck inside and completely isolated (even from my own children for a time) because of RSV and Swine Flu, I wasn't living in a place I could call my own, and I'd just moved here so I didn't have any friends to visit. It was great. Although this year promises to be just as cold and windy ('cause hey!! this is Rexbug - that's just the way it is), the spirits will be better on most of the other counts. I've made several friends and what's better, my kids have several friends. I don't have an infant or a C-section to recover from. As long as I can get over this stupid cold I currently have, I'll be able to exercise through the winter and keep my spirits up. And I just found out today that though we are staying here for Christmas, we will have the place to ourselves for a week or two. Everyone else is flying the coup and we'll be on our own. I love my family, but that will be nice. A vacation without having to go anywhere or spend any extra money.

Bekah is slowly but surely catching up in Kindergarten. I'm not sure which one of us has more social-emotional issues at the moment... I was getting overwhelmed with the amount of paperwork that she was coming home with to do at home. Apparently it is taking her so long to write her name at the top of each sheet that everyone else is done with their work by the time she's finished her name. Poor girl. We're working on that at home. In the meantime, she is LOVING being in school. It helps her feel important and like she belongs somewhere special.

Patrick asks every morning if it's his school day. He breaks down in tears everytime I tell him "no". He only has joyschool two times a week and it's hard for him to grasp that . Why can't he go every day like Bekah??!! He spent an entire 30 min. one morning asking if Talmage's mommy was ready to have him come yet. Literally. It was so annoying that it was funny in a little-boy sort of way. Loves his friends, loves school, hates leaving.

Andrew has been crawling for 3 months now. He's a fast little bugger. If any door opens, he's there. He loves the dog food and the dog's water. He's opening any cabinet and drawer that he can and gets into everything. Two days ago I put a brand new roll of TP up and -- yep. It was ruined within the hour and half of it was found in the toilet. We're learning to keep those lids down. He loves water. He also loves to suck on the screw covers for the toilet that are found on the base (gross!!) and I found him mouthing the plunger the other day (is there a word to describe the grossness of that activity?). Let's just say that he has a strong immune system.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

That picture is ADORABLE!

My heart breaks every time I think of Bekah. I wish that she were like the other kids!! But, she is too stinking happy to care. And then I cry some more! Love her!!

And I love you ;)

Marianne Hales Harding said...

This winter is going to be so much better than last winter!!! I can almost guarantee it!!!!

Also, I bet Bekah will eventually learn to be speedier with her schoolwork. Is she working on her name that whole time or is she distracted?

And, finally, Maran loves those horrible screw covers too. ICKY. Plus she can now get into the cupboard above the toilet. I don't know why I try to put things away anymore. She can get into everything. Yesterday I found her putting hair mousse in the dog's fur. He still has a pretty snazzy pokey-hair look, by the way.