Thursday, October 21, 2010

Validation

I have mentally and emotionally broken down more times this past year than ever in my life. Last night I was determined to get Michael and I out on a date so I could talk things through and get some time alone with the man. I was almost thwarted because Mutual was happening and it was supposed to be "way fun". I had to go outside of my knowledge boundary of babysitters and rely on others recommendations. Finally, 20 min before we were planning on leaving, I got a babysitter.

We had a wonderful night together. It's just nice to be together. I forget that sometimes - and those are usually the times that I'm struggling the most. duh... I spent a lot of the time talking things through and crying, he spent it listening and holding my hand. It's great to have a listener for a husband. He even made the sacrifice of promising me to stay away from the TV/movies for a full month so we could have more time to talk and just be together. If you know Michael, the TV concession is HUGE. I feel better and Michael is more aware of what's going on in my head. Both bonuses in my book.

Then this morning I get a call from him. "I was actually paying attention last night and you were up a LOT. I'm thinking that a lot of the stress you're feeling would go away if you were able to get the sleep that you're missing." Yeah. I think so too. Last night was pretty normal. I thrive on the days that Andrew actually sleeps through the night. We'll work on this and see if we can't conquer it before it gets overwhelming.

4 comments:

Rick and Heather Walker said...

Oh I wish you were closer so I could barrow your cute kids on date nights! We miss them and you too of course! ;)
I know how you feel with the time together! When I don't get that I struggle more also!
Good luck!! Call me if you ever need some non family girl talk!! :)

Hannah said...

Oh my goodness! I think that it is an epidemic this time of year! We Hopkin's are SO ready for a vacation!

Marianne Hales Harding said...

See, again I have been thinking of you and should have followed through on it and called you. Sorry you are struggling but it makes me SO happy to know that you have such a great partner in life. This post totally warmed my heart (and usually posts about how great my friends' husbands are make me want to puke a little bit...just being honest here...)

By the way, I totally agree on the sleep assessment. *Everything* is less overwhelming when you have a proper night's sleep. I just got this cd (for EL, actually, but it is designed for babies)... http://baby-books.babycatalog.com/videos-music/video-and-cd-sets-baby/sound-sleep-audio-cd-for-babies-00100

It looks really amazing. We'll see if it helps her. I'd be happy to upload it and send you the MP3 if you want to try it out to see if it's worth the $$ (I got mine on mamabargains.com for cheap but they have moved on to another deal).

Beth said...

Life is always brighter when you have a minute to talk and be heard. Love you!