I try to do Bekah's hair every day. Mostly because she doesn't have the kind of hair that can get away with every-other-day styles. No curls or thick hair to hide the frizziness of sleep. She hates it when I comb her hair so she trys to tell me that her hair is fine. I've begun telling her that girls just have to do their hair every day. Bummer - but true. Like a few days ago she had a tuft hanging out the side of her head and frizziness on the other. Then her ponytail from the day before was nearly out of it's hairtie in the back with bangs going every which way in the front. She was quite the sight.
So the reason for this post in the first place. As we all know, Bekah has a heart condition that makes her more fragile than the average kid in public school. Knowing that she's been through so much, I want to protect her from dangers, but I also want her to be able to live her life as normally as possible. That includes being able to have a mother that doesn't hover. I don't want her to have "Nemo syndrome" in which the parent is constantly telling her that she "can't" do things because she's different. I want her to grow up feeling that she's as normal. She'll just have a few more surgeries and cool scars than the other kids in school do.
But today I sent her out the door for the bus stop that's five houses down and my heart jumped when I saw the bus pass our house and then I saw Bekah burst into a run to try to make it in time. That's a good 40-50 yards down the street!! My heart aches when I see her have to run that fast for so long! I know exercise is good, but I don't want her heart to work that hard out of stress! So I called the PCMC cardiology people and asked whether it was better to let her stand in the cold a little longer, or to have her run to the bus like that, or to let me know if I was just being an overprotective parent and to let it go. They told me that I certainly need to bundle her up against the elements and get her a flu shot, but that she generally should be fine. They also confirmed that I should let the bus driver know of her condition so that if he notices anything he can tell her teacher at school or give me a call. But how do I know where the line is between obsessive parent and informing people around her? How do I dress her appropriately for these cold and windy mornings without making her sweat by school's end? I just don't want her to get to 3rd grade and have her rebel because nobody else's mom makes them wear a sweater to school in October. Or nobody else's mom has to talk to the bus driver and make them embarassed. Nobody else has to stay inside at recess time because it's 20 degrees with a wind chill factor of 30. Where's the line??? This will have to be a matter of a lot of prayer for a very long time -- like 10 years.
6 comments:
I think I need to call you today. I think that you need to talk it out. :) I love you!
I struggle with the very same thing for Nathan. My head knows to let him do his thing but the Merlin (I think that's the dad's name in Nemo) says, Wait Son! You can't do that! I've thought it about taking him to nursery in the winter, about our daycare situation, ... so many things.
I watch him though and his body knows when to stop and rest and he still does it a lot. I just wish there wasn't that constant thing to worry about sometimes...
You are such an amazing mother. Great mothers are the ones that do what is best for the child regardless of what other mothers do and if it embarrasses their child. Bekah is extremely lucky to have you as her mama.
Tell her to put her sweater in her backpack if she gets hot. :) Emma hates getting her hair done. It was so pretty while it was long, but soooo hard to work with. Anyway, I tried to help her through it by asking if she thought all the princesses needed to brush their hair to make it pretty. It sometimes helped... However, I gave up and cut it. It's sooo much easier to take care of now!!!
Good luck with your darling little girl. I hope you can find the line. It's gotta be tough not knowing exactly how much is too much. I bet she loves being in school and riding on the bus. Emma is soooo excited for those two things!!
I agree with Meg, you are a great mom!!! I know what you mean about trying to make her feel as normal as possible. I am going through the same things with Kennedy right now. It is hard to let her go over to people's houses, knowing that she could eat something I don't know about sending her blood sugar into a tailspin, but I have had to let that go and allow her just to be a kid. (Not that I'm not nervously pacing waiting with her blood sugar monitor to check her the second she gets home, lol!) - If you find a way to balance it all, let me know. I could use some advice as well. :)
The problem with the line is that it is VERY hard to find...and it is constantly shifting!! I know because I am constantly wondering that same thing ("Where is the line?"). My solution is to live in the present and decide in the present (in other words, don't worry about her possible 3rd grade rebellion. Lots of living to be done between here and there.) It doesn't always work out but we're both learning and growing in the process! (I let EL find her own way back to class after the Halloween program this morning like the other kids even though it looked like she was uncomfortable in her costume and I know she can't get out of it herself. Sure enough, she didn't ask anyone for help and spent the day in the costume. Even lunch! But, you know what? She didn't seem phased by it and when I asked how she ate lunch in the costume she said, "I just pushed my paws back and used my real hands, mom." So maybe it did work out after all...)
Post a Comment