Thursday, June 9, 2011

Getting to Know Cincy

There are certain things you always want to know about and how to get to ASAP when you move somewhere new:  grocery store, library (if your kids do that sort of thing), post office, church, doctor's office, and maybe the hospital for the just in case times.


Yesterday morning Patrick was complaining of a stomach ache which I chalked up to the absence of breakfast as of yet.  So I gave him some cereal and kept cleaning behind the oven.  (I don't normally do this, nor am I usually "doing" things right at breakfast.  But we had an ant problem and I was trying to remedy it sooner than  later.)  About half an hour passes.  He'd left the table earlier and was now coming back saying, "I'm going to eat my breakfast now 'cause my tummy ache is gone!  I took some of my red medicine (Children's Tylenol) all by myself!"


WHAT!!!!

Well, my day took a full 180 at that point.  I called someone to take the other kids and found myself trying to find the nearest children's hospital.  But I got lost.  After bawling in a corner convenience store in front of two older cashier ladies and a customer who were trying to help, Michael finally figured out how to get me where I was going.  He talked me all the way there.  Thank heaven for cell phones! 


Can I say that 2 1/2 hours of watching TV and not doing anything else makes one sleepy?  Finally his blood work came back and he was safe.  Either he'd taken a small dose or none at all.  But when your kid says he took medicine all by himself, you take him seriously.

Now I know how to get to the hospital....

3 comments:

Cherie said...

How scary! We had a scare w/Henry who found a bunch of pills right around the time he was putting everything in his mouth. We had to go pull my mom out of church to figure out if and what he had eaten. Glad Patrick was ok.

Good luck figuring everything out! Glad you're enjoying your new home. :)

Kristen Brady said...

Yikes! Scary! And, on another note, I LOVE Cincinnati - I lived there for 8 years.

Hannah said...

I am so glad you know your way! Perfect ending to a horrible story!