Friday, September 7, 2007

A Salute to Normal-ness

I always find it hard to believe that certain people's houses could ever be messy when I come to visit and it's spotless. Therefore, I end up particularly hard on myself for not having make-up on, the kids without shoes, or breakfast still present on Rebekah's face. However, I'm trying to banish this competitive thinking within myself and hope you might also be inspired. I'm publishing on the web, for all to see, what my house currently looks like. Sure, it's been tons worse. But as I looked around this morning, all I could see was clutter, clutter, clutter. No huge messes, just a lot of little ones spread throughout the house. So here's to being normal, having messes in general, and being okay with it!
My lovely kitchen. Yes the carseat is still there from being dumped there last night. The crock pot in the corner has been there for over a week waiting for the final stages of cleaning.

Our living room. Rebekah is tuned into Winnie the Pooh, there's a slew of movie sitting on the couch to be put away, and random samples of children's clothing throughout.

My laundry room. The clothes happen to be clean at the moment, but they have obviously not made it any closer to being put away.

My glorious self without makeup or hair done. I think one eye is smaller than the other . . .

I braided Rebekah's hair yesterday and this is what it currently looks like. Yea, it's almost noon and we still have one braid in and one braid out. Can we do the hokie pokie yet? :) In my defense, I usually wait until after her nap to do her hair anyway because it then stands a chance of making it through the rest of the day.

6 comments:

Sheena said...

Amen, Rachael. I'm glad I'm not the only "normal" one out there. Looks about the way my house is at the moment as well.

Bryan, Mary, Abby & Lorin said...

Rachel ... I don't see anything wrong with the way your house or you or your children look. I think this is living. I'm sure your children appreciate that you don't get so frazzled about these things and that you spend time taking care of them. You guys have a great family. I'm glad to be in the loop of emails. Love, Mary Porter

Liz said...

I was just wondering how it was everyone else had such spotless houses. I am glad to know that my friends are much more like me... You know, the crock pot waiting to be put away... -Liz

Jill said...

Yay! I'm glad to see you did this! I did it too a few weeks ago & its' nice to know other people are normal too.... :)

Beth said...

I may not have any kids, but this is how my place gets at times. Thanks - maybe know I'll remember my house doesn't have to be perfect cause no one else's is either! Andy will thank you from the bottom of his heart if I manage to be less stressed!

Mandie said...

Wow. Looks like my house, and even my kids... except Abby won't have a hair problem like that for several years.