Monday, November 10, 2008

What Would You Do?



Working in sales/retail with Enterprise Rent-a-Car has presented some interesting situations for Michael. As an employee and even more - as the office manager he has to be careful. He's not renting a $3,000 tool. He's renting a $20,000+ vehicle. I have to say that some of the stories he tells me are hard to believe. Some people have NO tact, others no respect, and still more no self-respect. But there truly are the honest, good people who really have been dealt a raw deal. Here's one that cropped up today:

Body shop calls to have you pick up a customer. Customer arrives and proceeds through the contract process. She has no license or credit card because her purse was just stolen. (You need both to be current and present in order to rent a car from ANY company.) She does have an operator's license. That will work. "Is this your current address on the operator's license?" No. She just moved today because the complex she was living in needed to be redone due to a car running into it. (You have to have proof of your current address because you want reassurance that you're going to get your car back.) Long and short of it, Michael couldn't - in good conscience - rent her a car. She was upset enough that she swore at him the whole drive back to the body shop.

What would you have done? What would have been your reaction if you were the customer?

7 comments:

Mindy said...

Good job Michael! You need to stick to those "rules" for reasons and so I think that's good.
My question would be, Did the complex that needed to be redone have HER car run into it?
If I were the customer I would have liked to know ahead of time (over the phone) that I couldn't rent from ANY car place if I didn't have a credit card and driver's license. People get pretty crazy when they feel they don't have control over things.

Kat Curtis said...

I think that was perfect. It's not fun to be sworn at, but really. Just from reading the story it seems like there was way too much involved with the story to be able to rent a car to someone with nothing to verify herself -- it almost seems too fishy.

Granted, if everything really was true that would be really frustrating. I think I would be upset, but I would have to give it to the company that it was reasonable to have those policies. I'm sure he does have really crazy stories, and probably deals with a lot of stressed out, tired people.

Generational stitcher said...

I wouldn't want to be in ether person's place. If he would have done it and she would have taken off with it, then he would have been in big trouble. While it is frustrating, and so totally not fun, it's his job to follow the rules of the company. I don't see how he could have done it.

The Gartin Family said...

You have done your job!!! Unfortunately and fortunately, those kind of people are the ones that have forced the companies set up policies to protect the company's interest. Good thinking, Micheal.

Christina White said...

Hi Rach, just a comment on the sleeping through the night thing . . .one of ours did just that same thing. You are on the right track to just put her back in bed, I found that the less I talked with her---not even to scold her--- she just figured out that it wasn't getting her anywhere--no attention, not even negative attention. And eventuallly she stopped doing it. Good Luck!

Hannah said...

If you remember, I had an enterprise lady do something similar to me... I didn't have a current license. So even though I was on vacation and was an hour away from my destination, she wasn't allowed to rent me a car. It sucked. But she didn't jeopardize her job and I didn't have to pay for the car rental.

There are certain things about which Michael has NO control. So, even though it sucks to be yelled at, just remember that he couldn't have done anything about it anyway. :)

PS-- you changed your blog! I almost thought that I was on the wrong page because I wasn't used to the different color background. hhaha

thelivesofthebradyfamily said...

Michael did the right thing. I do feel bad for the lady, if she is telling the truth, but you can't risk a car being stolen just because you felt bad for someone. Plus, even if she was telling the truth, with this lady's recent luck, who knows what could have happened to the car!