Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My First 29th Birthday

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to lie about my age as I get older. My dad used to say that you should act and be the age that you are. Some of the best advice I ever received. The actual birthdate was Nov. 27th. Yes, this year it fell on Thanksgiving. I used to wish for my birthday to be on the great day of thanks, but it was highly anticlimatic this year. I now know a smidgon of what it would be like to have your birthday on or too close to Christmas. My birthday was a very quiet, common day. It was kind of nice to not have a big deal made out of it. But I want a surprise party next year. . .
For all those without children, that is a McDonald's playplace. Take a good look, 'cause once you have children, babysit them, or have neices and nephews, you will tend to spend a good amount of time at one of them.
Some things about me:
  • I'm a terribly unorganized person. I hide it fairly well, but when it comes right down to it, I fall in the category of "seriously lacking" in organizational skills.
  • I'm scared of fake spiders. I'm getting to the point where I can kill smaller REAL spiders. But ever since the 4th grade I've had a great fear of fake spiders. A kid in my class threw a rubbery one at me underneath a table and it freaked me out. Yep, can't even do the spider rings for Halloween. There were a couple of doorways that I had to take a deep breath and run through this year for fear of the fake spider hanging over the door in a fake web.
  • I had a very uneventful 5 years of college. No sleepovers in random spots as a fan or to save a spot for anything the next day. No adrenaline/peer induced dares or other incidents. Heck, I barely went to any football games. I think I went to three?
  • But I love sports! I will go anyday if you have an extra ticket! I'm even getting to the point where I can stand to watch them on TV and that's saying a lot for me. I mourn the loss of the days when I played in school. I can still hold my own and even surprise some people, but I'm not nearly as good. If you stuck me in front of a softball fast pitcher now I think I'd wet my pants.
  • I've decided that I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none. I do believe that I have many talents. If I were to be "master" of any of them it would be vocal music, but I don't feel like a qualify for that title anywhere but in ward choir. I can cook, do basic crafts, basic computer skills, sports, music, make people laugh in a group, talk to just about anybody, have meaningful one on one conversations, etc. I've been greatly blessed. But mostly I just dabble here and there and manage to squeak by. :)
  • I've never had a BFF. Many good and close friends, but never a BFF. I think that will be Michael in the long run.
  • Though I'm very independent and have a strong personality, I'm heavily dependent on being able to talk through things with others around me. Good or bad. I fear I talk too much about myself at times, but it's a central coping mechanism for me.
  • I'm longing for a third child. But it shall have to wait until the proper time. Michael keeps telling me that once we have a third that we're just going to go on the fast track to get them all here and be done with it. :) I'm fine with that at the moment. Each day my children become more precious and beautiful to me.

13 comments:

Jared said...

Happy birthday! It's fun to find you and check in on your sweet family. Your kids are adorable. I'm glad to hear you are all doing well. We have a blog too. If you'd like to check it out, send me an email at paige.weed@gmail.com.

Mindy said...

Happy Birthday! You look great! I find it hard to believe that you have never had a best friend. Michael will have to do I guess! Have I told you how fun it is to read your blogs and get to know you? I love knowing all this stuff about you. :)
Oh, and I cannot believe you went down the McDonald's slide. I went up there once to rescue Henry and it was so sticky...ugh! (Maybe I have OCD with germs).
Either way, I hope being 29 is fun for you. Happy Birthday!

Emily Petty said...

Happy Birtday Rachael!...and you definitely have a beautiful voice!

Cherie said...

Happy belated birthday! I'm glad it was a good day. I hope you have a wonderful December.

Jenny and Al said...

Yay! I get to be the first one to wish you happy belated birthday! Thanks for being so awesome, Rachael. I appreciate your friendship.

Stephanie Ellinger said...

Happy belated birthday! I hope that your next year is what you want it to be!

Hohmann Family said...

I've noticed that some of the playplaces are horridly dirty and others are clean. This particular one was dirty, but once you're halfway through with your child you might as well go the whole way down the slide with them!

Melyssa said...

Happy Birthday Rachael - Welcome to the 29er club! That's a super cute picture of you by the way (Even if you are covered in McDonald Land cooties) :)

peterfam said...

Happy belated birthday! I am glad to hear that you like your thanksgiving birthday. I was worried about our daughter Caeli not liking the fact that she would have to share her b-day every couple of years with thanksgiving (she was born nov 26th) I LOVE your picture of the mountains. I miss them so much!

Tiffany said...

Happy late birthday! Yes we are getting older but with age comes wisdom, right? I noticed I have several things in common with you, it's always fun to learn new things!

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

Happy Birthday! HOORAY for someone willing to admit their age! I think how you feel is the important thing! I LOVE learning more about you! Hope your special day was GREAT!

Generational stitcher said...

My birthday is a week before Christmas Eve...there's never much to it, so I understand :) I love it though. Happy Birthday!

Rebecca said...

Hi Rachael, this is Rebecca (Bruton)Beth's sister. I have friends in St.George that you might know - they like to run also! The Bluhm family, Aileen specificly. Just wondered if you have met? you can find my blog through Beth's.