Please forgive the sometimes abrupt manner in which I present myself.
There's been a lot of talk, fighting, and arguing about the issues behind Prop. 8. It bothered me because of my background, but I wasn't sure exactly why. I don't have a problem with gay or lesbian people. I don't agree with their lifestyle, but I don't have a problem with them or the fact that they have their agency.
Prop. 8 would've allowed gays and lesbians the right to marry, adopt, etc. The issue for me is that they want to make a lifestyle choice and not have any consequences. There are those who are bisexual or homosexual who have ended up with HIV or AIDS. It's a consequence of nature for their lifestyle. There are also consequences of society. Poligamists and others like the Amish have been ridiculed for a century for their lifestyle. They have a hard time blending with society. It's a consequence of they way they have chosen to live. In a like manner I believe that those who have chosen a homosexual lifestyle must bare the consequences of their choices. The good the bad, and the ugly. Nobody will have the ideal life in this ideal country. But that's the beauty of having a choice - in everything.
I would like to hear your opinions on this matter so that I might think it out further. If it's a shorter comment, leave a comment. If it ends up being longer or is more personal, email me at mrhohmann - at- gmail- dot- com. I'm not looking for a fight, but for viewpoints.
5 comments:
I agree...I also think because homosexuality is more common place in society people don't see it as a problem and see it as a right but if it is a right then poligamists should have a right to be married to more than one women. Not that I am saying that is right either but if we start defining marraige as any thing other than one man and one women then we will have to give rights to every lifestyle.
I too bear NO hate in my heart for Gay or Lesbians. I understand even how they are upset with people saying it is a "choice". I don't believe all cases are "choices", (Bringing up boys by James Dobson (?) goes over that topic which helped me have a better understanding of it). If I can explain it right, I'll tell you my feelings on it:). I feel like each of us, both Man and Woman have our own DIVINE makeup that makes us each unique. In order to properly raise children, they do need the certain qualities that a Man has AND the qualities that a Woman has. There's a reason we were created different. I understand that things happen where one is left without the other, but Heavenly Father is mindful of us in those situations. What brings me the most fear is that if those laws are passed, not only will they get all those other rights, but I "fear" they will FORCE their opinions on us and demand equal rights to marry in the temple or to teach it in the schools! Does that make sense? I hope this isn't too long, I tried to brief it:o)!
I'm glad you posted my comment, I re-read it and wanted to clarify. When I said they need a Man and Woman's qualities, I do NOT mean the child needs to have both, I mean they need that in their parents in order to have a good balance! Does that make sense?:o)
I'm annoyed that they continually want to be the exception to the rule. And that doesn't just apply to gays and lesbians. Special Interest Groups across the board seem to like being the exception and try to find more ways to be so. I don't agree with them spending so dang much energy making sure that they don't fit in... Funny enough, if you get enough SIGs with the same mentality, they all of a sudden are just like every body else... HAHAA
My other problem is that they want to bring other people into their lives. Get married. Fine. But don't bring children in.
I wonder what Health classes will start teaching when we get to the reproductive system... if I were the child of a gay couple and grew up knowing that they were my parents, I would expect to have been conceived normally... what kind of a shock would you have when you find out they either they adopted you or they had some stranger carry you in the womb... This is a weird conversation...
I am not good at voicing my opinion on this in any elegant way, but Elton John said that Marriage is for Heterosexuals and Civil Unions are for homosexual couples, people need to leave it alone. I thought this was interesting coming from one who practices a homosexual lifestyle. Most of these requests seem to come across as demands with the expectation of me bending to their choices, leaving me no agency of my own. I don't care what they choose to do in their lives and if that's the road they want, that's their agency, but when they want theirs at the expense of mine, it's just doesn't work for me. Hopefully that makes sense.
I liked Hannah's Health class situation...that's food for thought
Post a Comment