Friday, May 1, 2009

One of My Earliest Lessons

Every since I can remember, my parents have taught me not to steal. It's one of the ten commandments, but my parents still saw necessary to make a point of me learning. I don't remember shoplifting anything as a kid. I'm sure my mom or dad would have a good story. But here's one just from today that made an honest woman out of me.

I went to a local grocery store to catch a sale on blackberries - 10/$10. In this case, it was a really good deal. So I stocked up. I planned to get 10 and freeze most of them. In my haste, my pregnant mind must have counted wrong. I told the cashier that I had 10, she glanced in my cart and confirmed that it looked like I was right, but neither of us actually counted. Then I got home and was trying to figure out how I had frozen half of them and still had 7 left over. I'd come home with 14 and only paid for 10. So I went back today and paid for the last 4. I could have chalked it up to a store error and been fine. Similar to when your teacher in 7th grade math class told you that if they didn't catch your mistake then you got lucky?. Well, it felt good to do the right thing and know that I was being honest.

6 comments:

Katie Phillips said...

Similar things have happened to me, and I do agree that it feels much better to do the right thing!!

Melyssa said...

That kind of thing happens to me ALL the time - I think it is because when you are shopping with kids, your mind isn't able to concentrate on the task at hand. I hate it when I get all the way to my car, have the kids strapped in their seats, and am ready to go - suddenly I find an item left at the bottom of the shopping cart that was unaccounted for UGHHH! - It is a pain to get everyone out to take the item back, but I know that teaching my children honesty as well as being honest myself is worth the trouble. :)

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

OK....I'm feeling REEEAAAALLY slow! When I read "pregnant mind" I thought to myself "did I miss something"? So I scrolled down and didn't catch on to your confession when I read it before:o)! Well, CONGRATS, that's exciting! I had to take not one thing back to the store today but TWO on two different trips. My little two year old has really STICKY fingers....kind of embarrassing (the looked at me like I was crazy) but at least I brought them back right?:o)!

peterfam said...

Yeah, Congrats on being pregnant. I missed that one too!

Em said...

Man, I have jumped through some serious hurdles to pay for things that slipped past the check-out. It's such a pain! One day I had been back and forth to the bathroom a few times, gone all the way back to the dairy for eggs that got broken, etc. and then I got out to the car and realized that the water bottle I had bought for Ethan at the checkout line (since I forgot to bring a sippy cup to the store) had not been paid for. I SO wanted to not go back in, but I felt like it was an awesome lesson for Ethan (and me!) of how important honesty really is.
Way to be. Now you will have joy instead of anxiety every time you eat blueberries. And that joy will go a long way if you bought 14 bags!
Congrats on baby #3 in the oven!

Love Em

Kristen Brady said...

I'm with you on this one. Also, congrats on the pregnancy, I think I'm just behind of everyone's lives! I'm really excited for you though!