front: Me, Andrew, Patrick, Michael, Rebekah
Seven years ago Hannah was released from the Center for Change in Orem, UT. It was a place of refuge and therapy to those with eating disorders. She'd been diagnosed with anorexia about 4 months prior and thankfully was willing to check herself into this clinic to get help. I have yet to watch the documentary they made of her progress, but I hear that it's incredible. She's felt completely ED free for about a year now and she's in better emotional and mental shape than she's ever been. (I'd include physical too, but despite EDs being very visual, it's really more of a mental and emotional battle.) I'm so proud of her and amazed by her spirit, determination and love. She's found that there are not many people who were in therapy with her that have made it all the way through to recovery as she has. It makes it all the more poignant to be grateful that she was one that did. Through her experience all members of my family have learned a LOT. For me, it was the necessity to share exactly what I'm feeling regardless of how silly, self-centered, or foolish it may seem. More than anything, it's important to simply allow those near you to know how you are feeling even if there is no initial response. To validate the feelings is important. I'm grateful for what I've learned through the experience and more importantly - that I still have Hannah. She is a sense of reason amidst a blowing storm, stalwart, strong, and sensible. (Though she's often ridiculous, overly loud, and ready at any time to laugh to the max.) Congratulations Hannah!! I love you so very much!
3 comments:
This is a very sweet post. Good things to remember. I love to hear stories of people tackling life's struggles and doing an excellent job of it.
BTW, I have to tell you....you are one person short in your photo caption...unless Joseph suffers from MPD and his other personality is a lovely young woman...or Hannah is actually two people... :)
Wow, what a great looking crew. It's so funny to me how I know each of the Hopkin clan from totally different life experiences, but I eventually pieced you all together. (do you remember that our moms lived in California together and that my Grandparents were best friends with your grandparents?) Anyway, tell your whole family hi from me. :)
Thanks for the post! I think you speak too highly of me... but I appreciate all that you said!! I don't think that I will soon tone it down... sorry about the noise level! :)
Post a Comment