Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Date with Justice

Back in October I was pulled over and I'd been clueless as to why. The cop informed me that I hadn't stopped for the pedestrian in the crosswalk. (I was on a street next to campus - there's ALWAYS a pedestrian in every walkway!!!!! whatever...) The biggest reason I didn't stop was because I didn' t see her until I felt it was unsafe to stop. I contested the ticket. Besides the biggest hassle experience of my life with our fine nation's judicial system, I learned a few valuable things.
  • Explaining your side of the story is satisfying, but does not always help your side win. Therefore, is it really worth the trouble?
  • Our nation is wonderful, but I realized that because it was designed by man (though admittedly with the help of God) it will have the flaws of man. It cannot be a perfect judgment.
  • I still had to pay the darn ticket, but I felt a little better afterward.
  • The officer who ticketed you is there to testify. So contrary to rumor, they DO show up.
The biggest lesson by far was the second point. I deemed it unsafe to stop, but the fact remains that I didn't stop. Therefore I was guilty. Facts are facts. Justice is justice. But in the Lord's court on judgment day there will be other deciding factors. He will be able to see into my heart and see my real intentions. Granted, this may condemn me at times, but I also believe that it will save me more often than not. And blessed Mercy will be there to beg for me. Without mercy and the Atonement of Christ I am nothing and have no chance of salvation or exaltation. My understanding of justice vs. mercy and the interplay that they have deepened that day. My gratitude for my Savior, His atonement, and my Heavenly Father's wisdom in preparing this plan of happiness for us widened. My understanding grew and I was humbled.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I am SOOO grateful our justice system won't survive in heaven. It is a mess!

Sorry about your ticket :(