Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Things I Have Learned Today

I had my first Plan of Salvation discussion with my kids today over lunch. I don't even remember how it came up. I think it was spurred by a question about when we can see Heavenly Father again. But I felt like I should do the whole diagram thing! I grabbed a blank envelope that was sitting on the counter and began with being here on earth. Then we briefly about where our spirits go when we die and that our bodies stay here on the earth. We breezed through the Judgement because I didn't think they'd really grasp that yet, but went on to discuss the three degrees of glory: Celestial if we are good, obedient, and righteous as much as we can be. Terrestrial if we are mostly good but choose bad sometimes, and Telestial if we aren't obedient and don't do very well. I touched on Outer Darkness, but that's hard to talk about sometimes. They were so excited that you'd get to see H.F. AND Jesus in the Celestial Kingdom! Still thrilled that you could see Jesus in the Terrestrial Kingdom, but you could see the disappointment on their faces when I told them they couldn't be with H.F. Then they were sad when I said that the Telestial Kingdom people would only get to be with the angels. No H.F. or Jesus. They wanted to go to the Celestial Kingdom!! We'll keep working at that.
So it was brief and there were still a lot of holes, but I tried to explain it in a way that their young minds could begin to comprehend. We'll get into more detail later. :) It was exciting! I've been striving extra hard over the last few weeks to do better about listening to my kids and keeping the spirit in our home. There have been so many discussion opportunities lost because I was "too busy"! I've grabbed so many more of those opportunities in the last few weeks and it's been AWESOME!

There is a mother I know who is the epitomy of what I don't want to become. She talks A LOT about herself and her experiences (not in a selfish way, just a too much information way), she has 9 children who seem to always be yelling at each other, she's always exhausted and late for things, and she's admitted many times to me that she just can't keep up with everything! I know she loves her kids. She has great insights to gospel teachings and a great perspective on the purposes of life. I just can't really figure her out. Frankly, that's probably good. I deal with her often because she has kids that are "playmate" age and she's nearby. It's convenient. But there are times she drives me nuts. Yet I know she has a good head on her shoulders and has a good heart underneath all the chaos. So we ended up gabbing today while our kids played in the foreign sunshine that graced itself on Rexburg . We talked about moves, the difference between the Lord's plan for you and your plan, and kids. My testimony of our individuality before the Lord was strengthened. The way that she and her husband have lived their lives is wonderful for them. They make things work somehow. I, on the other hand, could never do the same things that they have done and remain sane. The great part is that I don't have to. My life can be so very different and still be acceptable and even wonderful in the eyes of the Lord. I may not agree with this woman on how she runs her life, but it's not my place to judge or keep track -- and that's wonderful! I'm so grateful that the Lord keeps track of each of His children and doesn't compare one to another. He simply wants us to stay close to the spirit and do the best and the most that we can with what we are given. Then we need to continue striving for our best until we are called home.

Somehow when you have the spirit, you're able to do all that needs to be done and have time to spare. Well, really you get the necessary things done and all others really don't matter. I've probably "wasted" a good two hours today, but I spent some good time with my kids and that was important. I'm not stressed about the rest.

Andrew is growing up. He's trying so hard to talk/communicate and it still makes no sense most of the time. But he's learning!

Bekah is one smart cookie. She aches to learn, be noticed, and taken seriously.

Patrick is such a sweet little boy! He has his grouchy moments and even days in which I have to stand back and give him his room. But he is so lovable! He loves reading stories with me, coloring/drawing with or for me. He loves having Joyschool all to himself.

I have great kids.

On a side note, Michael interviewed for a job in Cincinnati. We find out next week. We can feel the Lord's hand in all of this, but have no idea where it is leading us. Guess we'll find out soon!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

First of all, if Serena is the epitome of who you want to become, why does the paragraph about her have a... "I can't stand her and I am just trying to figure out how to vent without thrusting myself to hell" tone? hahahaha!! I love that about blogging!!!

Second of all, GOOD FOR YOU for teaching them the plan :) I think you are a great mommy :)

Second of all, that picture of Andrew is adorable! I miss your kids a lot.

Forth of all, I cannot count.... hahahah!!

Fifth of all, I am glad you feel the Lord in your life, too. LOVE YOU!

Hannah said...

First of all, if Serena is the epitome of who you want to become, why does the paragraph about her have a... "I can't stand her and I am just trying to figure out how to vent without thrusting myself to hell" tone? hahahaha!! I love that about blogging!!!

Second of all, GOOD FOR YOU for teaching them the plan :) I think you are a great mommy :)

Second of all, that picture of Andrew is adorable! I miss your kids a lot.

Forth of all, I cannot count.... hahahah!!

Fifth of all, I am glad you feel the Lord in your life, too. LOVE YOU!

Dawnie said...

It is always so refreshing to read your blog. Those moments of teach the children about the gospel are some of my favorites! We often hear that the Lord will make you equal to the task to which you are called; when teaching my children the gospel is when I have felt it strongest as a mother! Thank you for reminding me that the Lord is in every part of our lives. Sometimes in the midst of moving or the hetic settling I loose track of that.