Thursday, March 24, 2011

Too Much of a Good Thing


My kids love bath time. I say "Let's go take a bath!" and Andrew scuttles down from wherever he is and races downstairs! The other two take a tad longer to catch onto the bath time fever, but they are also eager. Andrew giggles at the edge of the tub as I undress him and put him in. They all love playing in the water. They have tubby cups and washcloths to entertain themselves. As they play I go about doing what I normally do. I gather undies and PJ's. I toss all dirty clothes into the hallway to be sorted later. I toss all reusable clothes back into their room. Basically I try to find things to pass the time so I can wash their hair in a few minutes with the least amount of grumbling. After hair washing they have to get out. They've had a grand time and usually go to bed happy as clams!

But last night Patrick was up an hour later having wet the bed. Bekah got up in the middle of the night having to potty too and for some reason she's more scared of the bathroom with the nightlight than either one of our rooms with no nightlight? (It must be the shadows cast on the walls from the light.) So I have to accompany her to the bathroom across the hall. Then Andrew wakes up with a sopping diaper that has leaked through to his PJ's = more laundry. Yea.

Because of my experience last night I finally made an important discovery....they drink too much bath water and that's what causes the problems! Sure it's just water. Sure it's gross to us, but admit it - you drank the stuff as a kid too! And for all my fiddling around trying to pass the time while they play in the water, they're busy filling their little bellies with MUCH more water than they are used to at that time of night! Guess I'll have to be more vigilant. No more bath water for my little kiddies!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

OR you could have them bathe around 5 before dinner. Then again, you get dinner all over them... WEEELLLL.... Dawson, I think you have been stumped!

I would love to see that little Andrew scuttle. I MISS THOSE KIDS!!! GAH!

Mindy said...

I'll sit in the bathroom with the baby and keep repeating "Don't drink the water." But if I put her in with another kid it's more fun and less drinking. Sometimes it's a good time to sit in the bathroom and read a short Ensign article while they play...for some reason (even though it has never happened) I'm afraid any of them could have a seizure and drown...morbid thought. I used to drink so much water...so funny your kids are up peeing because of all they drink in the tub!