I have a friend that comes out to visit every night. He's a medium build, colorful, and has an interesting diet. He makes beautiful creations with a unique thread that sparkles in the rain or faint light. Really he's quite fascinating. The only problem? He's a spider.
Ever since I can remember I've had a fear of spiders and it didn't seem to matter how large, small, hairy or skinny they were. I DO NOT LIKE THEM, SAM I AM!! I remember jumping quickly through a doorway to avoid a spider falling on my head (that I knew was on the ceiling just inside) only to freak out due to the spider crossing my path that I was about to land on - yes, there were two. I've found spiders in my shower, on me in the shower, crawling out from under me in my bed, and even had a nightmare about a giant daddy-long-leg coming out from behind the water heater in the food storage room when I was a kid. I've gotten a little better as a parent and am actually able to kill the small ones with TP, but I still freak out when I see them. I'm kinda like Ron Weasley -- except that I never would have followed ANYONE into the forest who was following spiders. I would have lent him my flashlight and then prayed hard.
Honestly, I have been fascinated watching this particular spider who resides in my bathroom window. It's amazing to watch him take apart and rebuild his web. It's sickeningly mesmerizing to watch him catch something in his web and "take care of business". I just don't like that I know he's to the left above my head when I'm on the toilet and there's only a window pane separating us. It's a real mental battle using the restroom sometimes. Michael tells me to just not look. But if your an arachniphobe, you can't help but look. It's somehow comforting knowing just where it is in relation to yourself. It's sick.
Now that it's fall I've seen two smaller but identical spiders on other parts of the house and I'm starting to freak out a little. I told Michael that all I want for my birthday are a few Stargazer lillies and for him to get rid of my spider friend.

4 comments:
Is that an orb weaver? We had one of those outside of our old house that was huge and creepy, but made the coolest spider webs....which he would then break down and make all over again.
Your family is wonderful! I am very envious of your nice, green grass there in Ohio too. We've been totally fried here in Texas this summer, and even if we hadn't been, the grass is not the good grass of the north. I hope you guys are all settled in there! :)
Yes Kat, it is an orb spider. I had to look it up, but you were right.
Let me also insert here that while looking them up I had to scoot my chair back 5 feet and take the mouse with me so I could navigate without having to get close to the screen! Hahahah! Sometimes I have to laugh at how ridiculous I am!
Yeah, the spiders in FL were not beautiful and I did not enjoy watching them weave...
But I have seen spiders at work and it is pretty impressive. I am of the opinion that if you have more than 4 legs, you are a problem. Or if you are a cat.
Unless you are a cheetah. Then you are fine.
Post a Comment