Friday, November 30, 2012

My School Bus Complex

As a child I always felt I was running to catch the bus.  This wasn't mere jogging I'm talking about here.  This was full-out sprinting to try to catch the bus.  It wasn't my mom's fault.  I think I probably took too long getting dressed and eating breakfast in the morning.  And if that wasn't enough, there were several times I'd stop at the nearby vacant lot to look for a pretty flower for the bus driver - only to watch it drive by.  Then I'd have to sprint to the other far end of the street in an effort to catch it.  
 
But that fear of missing the bus has stayed with me as a parent.  My only wish for my kids in the morning is that they don't worry about whether they will make it to the bus stop or not.  I remember the panic and sudden fear it caused.  I remember my breathes coming in heaves as I sprinted and thinking my lungs would burst before I managed to get on the bus - my legs burning and forcing myself to continue at more than a brisk walk.

Our bus is supposed to come at 7:42 a.m.  Tuesday and today it came at 7:38-39 a.m.  I know it's only three minutes.  But when the bus stop is not right out your front door 3 minutes can make or break the deal.  Today I watched my kids sprint like I used to.  I could tell their legs were tired and that their lungs were bursting in the cold morning air.  I ache for them!  I know what they're feeling and hope I can help them get out the door 2 minutes earlier next week!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I hated missing the bus....

chelsea mckell said...

Ok, and I'm on the other end of the spectrum here, thinking - what a great workout! You're helping them expand their lung capacity and VO2 uptake!
:)