I spend about $300 on groceries each month. Patrick is now off formula so there's no excuse there. Of course these groceries include things like TP, spices, sippy cups, etc. I think there's another $70 on top of that for diapers. It's roughly $350 all in all. We go through 4 gallons of milk a week. Please tell me that this is normal?!! I remember having a food budget of around $200 dollars and suddenly it elevated. I probably just wasn't paying attention, 'cause that was before we had children. :)
10 comments:
We drink about a gallon of milk a week. If you realize the price of milk is kind of like the price of gas, we're saving money by not drinking so much. I guess we don't really enjoy it as much as you guys. We have it with breakfast and all the other meals we drink water. We have milk with chocolate syrup in it for fancy meals. Sounds lame huh?
Other than that, all I can suggest is to buy your food on sale and stay away from the kiddie foods that cost a lot of money. They probably like bananas and pears more than fruit snacks anyways. Not that I know your kids like fruit snacks or anything.
Anyways, good luck!
Oh yea...my grocery budget makes your look like petty cash...it totally stinks. I shop sales and we have some WIC checks, only since I got pg again. My kids drink tons of water and we still go through a gallon of milk A DAY!! We even have price rite out here that it super cheap and a place called Produce Junction that sells fruits and veggies for about half the price of a grocery store and I spend easily $600+ in groceries. Especially as we try to build our food storage slowly. Hang in there!
We spend about $275/month in groceries, although we don't drink that much milk! You guys are keeping the dairy farmers in business! :) One thing that really helped me to cut back our food costs was to start planning a menu. Every two weeks, I sit down and plan out ALL our meals, snacks, houshold items, diapers,etc. I have a list of exactly what we need and I stick to it like a nazi. I try to keep my trips to the store to twice a month which helps keep down on the impulse/boredom buys. :) It is a little extra effort, but it has helped us save $100+ a month. Good luck :)
At risk of sounding like we are huge spenders...we have 4 kids...so everyone else realizes we have alot of mouths to feed :) My boys eat like boys too...sigh.
Also, one thing to keep in mind is that food prices have been going up just below gas prices. Also, I found when we first moved it took a little while to find the "cheaper" places to shop, and we only moved about 90 minutes away. Hang in there!
Oh, I totally feel your pain. Every time I go to the store, no matter how much I spend, I come home feeling guilty, and like I spent too much. You're not alone. :) The Farmer's Markets will start opening soon, and it always seems easier and cheaper to eat in the summer when the fresh stuff is in season. Good luck!
Rachael, sounds about right to me! I think we spend at least that much and sometimes more! I try to be a good shopper and plan meals and we don't eat fancy meals or anything . . .it just costs more these days!
Much love, Chris
Try a gallon a day in our home...and I've cut back.
Oh, to spend only $350/month on groceries again!
Um, I won't give a number cause now I'm embarrased at how much I spend for 2!
Um, I won't give a number cause now I'm embarrased at how much I spend for 2!
Sounds good to me! And I'm a coupon-er! We spend that AND MORE!
Post a Comment