Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Do You Ever Feel -

Like you're fighting a losing battle?. . . Like a hurricane just went through your house and before you can manage to right everything, it turns around for another go at it? I wish I could blame it solely on my children, but both Michael and I have partial blame. I just don't feel like I'm getting ahead at all.

On a different note, has anyone ever potty-trained their BOY before age 2 1/2 and been successful? I'm curious to know if it's possible and then if it's worth it. Patrick will be that old when the baby comes and I'm wondering if I should even bother with it or worry about it afterward.

9 comments:

Meg said...

YES! I feel like that everyday!
As for the boy thing...well we both know my answer to that one...

The Gartin Family said...

You and I are in the same boat. Everett will be 2 1/2 yrs old when our baby will be born. He seems to know when he goes and even goes to the toilet to do business (in diapers). I am waiting until baby is born and tackle it then. Good Luck!

peterfam said...

Yes, We potty trained Lincoln at 26 months. Some friends of ours said that was the magic age. It did work and we had a few months of freedom before Caeli came. On the other hand, they can revert back, but an accident every once in a while is easier than diapers for a year.
I think most of the reason we could potty train him is his personality - laid back, observant.

Katie Phillips said...

From what I've read about potty training, it's best to do it during a time when there will be no big changes in the near future. (moving, bringing a new baby home, etc.) Also, boys generally are more apt to train well at a slightly older age than girls, I think. Anyway, if it were me I'd definitely watch for the signs, but from what I've read, it seems like it might be tough on Patrick to be going through a big change (potty training) and then having to go through another big change (adjusting to having another sibling and less mommy time) at the same time. (Every child is different, though! He might be able to handle it!) Bruce was born just before Emma turned two and a half, and I didn't even try to potty train her until Bruce was a few months old. I am very glad that I waited!!

On a side note, getting Patrick started could be fun. Boys seem to have a more fun time going potty than girls. (They get to aim and stuff...I'm feeling a little silly talking about this, but oh well!) I don't know if there is a time that you are trying to have him potty trained by (ex. preschool or daycare or something), but if not, then I'd take my time!!!

Sorry this is long!! And it's just my opinion, so feel free to ignore if you want!!! :)

Generational stitcher said...

I feel like that ALL the time...mostly because by the end of the day I am out of energy to clean the house.

My opinion on the boy issue...I have done it both ways...waiting is SO MUCH EASIER!!! With boy #1 we did it before and when I was in the hospital having had my worst delivery experience, he wasn't helped like he needed to be and then I couldn't help him like he needed when I got home. I wished and wished and wished we hadn't started. With boy #2, he showed interest before the baby came but nothing committal, so I just left it. When the baby was here and I felt confident in being able to help him, we went for it. It was SO much better and less stressful.

I also found it was easier when they were taller to stand...my boys didn't fully train until they started standing.

Becki and Jeff said...

Boys will be boys. Slower than girls. Ha,ha!! I have two boys ages 7 and 5. Let's see. They are easier to potty train during the day. I took the family to see my folks in Texas. Every two hours we stopped due to little people needing changed. I decided to put them on the toilet instead. It worked!.... for the most part. My youngest wasn't completely potty trained until 4 years of age. He just couldn't remember... or recognize that he needed to go potty at night. So, Jeff and I wake him up every night before we go to bed to take him potty. He stays dry until morning. So, in short, work with Patrick. It'll take time and patience... lots of it!! Just find what works best for ya'll. Congrats to you and Michael on baby number 3!!! Another Hohmann. Michael, I can see your mom making baby blankets again!!! Ahhhhh. Sweet moments.

Cheers!

Becki and Jeff

Mindy said...

Your friends have pretty good advice. I would say to practice and let him have fun eating candy for trying...but not to stress over it. He probably will not fully potty train, but at least he has an idea what he's supposed to do every time you stick him on the toilet. I heard bladder control does not come until they can peddle a bike...although chinese babies are potty trained at what, six months? I think the people writing the potty training manuals in the US are the diaper industry--conspiracy!

Tiffany said...

My boys were all trained by that age, it can definately be done. Having 2 kids in diapers is not fun and having one thing out of the way before the baby comes is nice to. But definately don't force anything if he's not ready it could be more work in the long run.

Joseph Hopkin said...

This is Joseph. Speaking as a boy who was potty trained before age 21, I'd say that yes, it's very possible. Even for boys.