Monday, October 3, 2011

Conference Weekend

Well, we have no fabulous traditions to post about.  And we didn't have any amazing "ah-ha" moments to speak of.  But we had a great weekend just being together listening to our prophets and apostles.  That's the important part.

I love Conference Weekend.  I was so excited to wake up Saturday morning and do a lot of things so we could be ready to sit and enjoy when the time came.  Granted, that vigor is harder to come by in prepping for the Sunday afternoon session, but it sure starts that way.  We have never had TV channels to speak of.  Michael and I realized early on that TV could not be part of our household because we can't control the addiction that overwhelms us.  So we watch movies, but no TV.  Because of that, the Internet has always been our friend on Conference Weekend.  Occasionally we find temporary lodging for a few hours at someone else's house, but most of the time we make the most of our computer. 

We enjoyed the company of two different families that have become good friends.  Our kids only lost it once.  For the most part they either listened with us, or were content to play by themselves in the next room.  This is the first year that we insisted on having them watch at all and I think they actually enjoyed feeling grown up and watching with us.  I have no idea what they gained from it, but if it was as simple as a testimony of Conference and it's importance, that was valuable. 

I went into Conference with several questions in mind and had most of them answered.  Not one of them was answered in a way that I was anticipating.  The answers were simple and faith oriented.  I am grateful for that.  I have a strong testimony.  But I can always have more faith.  I can always improve.  I am grateful for the spirit that nudges and urges in a way that I feel motivated instead of horribly behind or inadequate.  I love Heavenly Father.

No comments: