The first time I realized that I liked being domestic was when I cleaned a bathroom really well for the first time at approximately age 16. I didn't want anyone to go in the bathroom for 24 hrs without signing their lives away that they would keep it clean!
But I've also realized that I have my domestic limits. For example, I'm not a terribly crafty person by nature and not a single one of my domestic qualities is a talent per se. I'm not great at baked goods that look professional, I don't have a spotless or highly organized house (I once knew a woman who did touch-up painting once a week - I know, right???), and I'm not the best cook or homeschooling mom. But I enjoy what I do.
I think I feel the need to improve these skills simply because I feel they are a part of the natural nature of a woman. And I like to feel like a woman more often than when I dress up or am in the "mood". I like feeling like my children and husband are getting good meals because I'm thrifty enough to buy things on a good deal and then a decent enough cook to make those deals into nutritious something for dinner. There's something simple and simply beautiful about being a homemaker. You really make a home - that's what I've been enjoying all these years.
Today was another bread making day. My kids love it when I make bread. What kid doesn't love it when their mother makes bread??? They like helping as much as they like eating the stuff.
Ah.... licking the bowl after the dough has been taken out. Then searching for all the little bits of leftover dough on your fingers. This could keep them entertained for a LONG time. They helped me form it and put into the pans.
Then for dinner we had fresh homemade bread with homemade turkey noodle soup. The turkey has been in the freezer for months. It's leftovers from Thanksgiving. It's been great to have that extra meat on hand through the winter months. I think I'll get a bigger turkey next year just so we can have this dish and others more often!
That's some good eatin' right thar!


1 comment:
Ok, so I don't make bread.... I liked it at one point and then I got more than one job. I think you are very creative in the kitchen!
I'm on my soapbox so take this with a grain of salt. The last 3 posts have been about how inadequate you feel and how talented you don't feel. I sure love you, I love your weakness, I love your strengths, I love your blog, I love your laugh, I love your creativity, I love your voice, I love your relationship with Michael, I love your goofy side, I love your meek and humble attitude. Don't forget to remember the strengths!!
I'm off the soap box.
Post a Comment