We were able to go yesterday after a good 4 month absence. It happens when you have a baby. I wanted to go before I delivered, but somehow it never happened.
I was pondering how to deal with Rebekah's tantrums and recent lack of obedience when two things occured to me. First, we are given a law of sacrifice which implies that we must sacrifice for the best of ourselves to come to the surface. I could do more of that to gain the patience I needed. I needed to take things a little slower in general in order to avoid blowing up at my precious daughter. Second, there is a law of consecration in which we are commanded to give of our time, talents, and the very best of ourselves toward the building of the kingdom of God. I'd always thought of that in respect to my calling in the ward. However, it dawned on me that my more important calling in life is that of a mother. All my choicest energies, time, and talents needed to be poured into building my home and my family. In so doing, I'm building up the kingdom. It was humbling for me and a bit of a "duh" moment in a lot of ways.
So this morning, I took things slower and didn't worry so much. When Rebekah was coloring and decided to color on her clothes with pen, I decided to just remove the temptation and took her pen instead of trying the explanation/second try route. It was better. And I didn't lose my temper. At least pen comes out, right?
I'm ever grateful for the chances I get to change and be better.
No comments:
Post a Comment