Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Father's Day

I cried over my ironing today. Looking at it like that it sounds pretty pitiful. But it was a moment of joy.
On a whim I decided to watch the "Joy to the World" video that the church sent out with the December Ensign a few years ago. I've carted it around for 3-4 years now and have never sat down to watch it. But today, I needed to keep my mind busy while I did my ironing.
I was struck with the role of Joseph in the Savior's birth and his life. I believe that Christ would have turned out just fine had Joseph not been a good father, but God knew Joseph's heart. Heavenly Father knew He could entrust this man, Joseph, with the raising of His only Begotten. I can't begin to fathom the responsibility that Joseph must have felt and the depth of trust Heavenly Father must have had in him to fulfill such a duty. He was not even married to Mary at the time she became pregnant with the Savior and yet he stayed by her side and raised the child as his own. He had great faith in his God and in his espoused wife.

Of course, then my thoughts turned to my husband. Michael is one of the most loving men that I know. His mother has always told him that he will make a great father and I would add that he is also a wonderful husband, uncle, and friend. He has such sensitivity to situations and people. It's one of his greatest strengths. He's always been patient with his children (except when they've been screaming in their carseats for several hours on long trips - but who wouldn't have their patience tried at that point?) and he has ALWAYS told them and me that he loves us. Many times a day. He makes us laugh at the silliest things simply because he enjoys life and shares that joy. I'm so grateful that I have been able to share the last 5 years with him as his wife and that I have the promise of eternity with the man of my dreams.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

And he's funny! Isn't it great to be married to the man of your dreams? I guess every woman feels this way about her husband if she's happily married. I'm happy for you guys. You had a beautiful marriage ceremony and it's great to see it progressing. :)

Generational stitcher said...

I think long road trips are most everyones short coming...it's just alot for everyone :) Kids included. :) Isn't it great to have to have the knowledge that we can have our families forever?