Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Jesus Fan Club


Our ward gave all the mothers "The Testaments" DVD for Mother's Day. It had started out a hard day for me emotionally. For some reason, my temper was particularly short and things seemed to easily bug me. Thankfully, Michael was standing by my side until we got to church constantly whispering, "Breathe - just keep breathing". When the little deacon gave me my copy and I saw what it was, I cried. I guess I needed Heavenly Father to tell me that He loved me at that point and I felt He'd done it through this small gesture.
We finally got around to watching it this past weekend when we all stayed home from church due to the sickies. We felt it would go a long way to engender the spirit of the sabbath. Rebekah watched it with us and only covered her eyes at one point. I was pleased that she sat through a "church" movie.
Today when it came time to put her in front of the TV so I could take a shower, I asked which movie she wanted to watch and she said, "Desus?" So I started to get out the animated version of baby Jesus in the manger. She, on the other hand, went straight for the Testaments case and continued to say "Desus?". So I put it on expecting her to be bored and come bother me in my shower within 10 minutes. Didn't happen. Not only did she sit through the whole thing again and by herself, she preceeded to cheer "Yea, Desus!" at the end when Christ appears to the Nephites in the americas.
So we've started a fan club. I think it's a pretty good one. Anyone else in? :)

5 comments:

Melyssa said...

That is so precious! I am always amazed at the spiritual depth little children have. I have the tendency to want to water things down for my girls because I feel like they will be bored or things will go over their heads, but they never cease to amaze me with their insight and desire to learn. :) Thanks for that story, it made my day. I think I will go get a copy of "The Testaments" for our family library. :)

Anna@Exasperation said...

We're in the club! Cameron LOVES the "Jesus Movie." I also love it:)

Generational stitcher said...

I LOVE THIS!!! We go through times when that's all they will watch...it's good for them. We have acquired a wide enough variety that they can usually even pick one to watch TOGETHER...lol! And YEA!!! For an uninterrupted shower...such a rarity!

Kat Curtis said...

Ben LOVES "The Testaments" - he calls it "the movie where Jesus is hung on the cross, but then he is Resurrected". It was our usual Sunday afternoon movie for a good stint there. What a great Mother's Day gift! By the way, the video with Mike and your kids totally reminds me of Jeremy. It is nice that men and women are different - and that he has enough energy after school to play with the kiddos. You have a great family!

TheBaumanns said...

Oh my gosh, that's such a cute story!! Maybe I should try that with Mason. :)