Ever since Rebekah was 2 and a half we've been looking forward to getting her tested by the school district for speech help. If she qualifies (meaning she's behind schedule) then we get therapy through the district for free. If she doesn't, then we have to continue with our own therapist, but it means she's doing well enough by the districts standards.
I finally got around to calling the district. Two weeks later (I love bureaucracies) I finally have an appointment. (On a side note: the appointment is for a week from now and it looks like I'll probably have to reschedule it. Bummer.) They want to test her for cognitive abilities and for speech to make sure she's on par. The lady who called me told me to bring three things to Rebekah's appointment. They need her birth certificate --- hold on. I don't have a birth certificate. Was she born in this area? No, Utah County. Oh, well this should give you enough time to get one. I have a social security card. We need that too. We also need a current immunization record. (Great! Something else that I don't happen to have in this house!) By the way, you may want to get multiple copies of her birth certificate while you're at it. It's cheaper that way and then you have backups. She'll need one for school anyway. Insert a huge exhale here.
Did I mention that we're currently on a VERY tight budget? I'm starting to wonder why I didn't order these things when my kids were born. Then I remember that we were poor then too! Oh yeah!! No one ever told me that I'd need a birth certificate to allow my children to attend public school. Besides that, Rebekah won't be going for another 2-3 years. I figured I could spend the $15 it cost for a birth certificate on something else more urgently needed.
Then I begin to wonder why our government requires each citizen to have a birth certificate and then makes them pay to get it in the first place. So I live in the land of opportunity, but I have to pay money I don't have in order to get the birth certificate to allow me to have the opportunity? Hmmmm.
Did I mention that I love bureaucracies?
For those who read the whole post - thanks for listening to my vent session. I feel better now. I think I'll go fill out a form so I can spend $15. :)
1 comment:
You have to PAY to get a copy of their birth certificate???? That's NUTS! Tom fills out the form in the hospital and they send it to me...no money no effort...at least on my part...that's really stupid!! Now I have vented for you too :)
Post a Comment