Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Bright Side of Things

I went to get birth certificates today. Something (if you've read recent posts) that I've been avoiding for almost a week. I really wasn't looking forward to spending $30 to prove that I had my children.
So my reaction when the certificates were handed to me was completely unexpected. The lady asked me to look them over to make sure they were right and I choked up. It took a bit of willpower to not break down there in the Vital Records office of Washington County. I think I was overwhelmed with gratitude that these special children were mine - that this piece of paper verified that I was their mother and that the love of my life was their father. Their weight, time of birth, doctor and place were mentioned. A flood of memories came and I was a little surprised by the sudden realization that these were some of the most precious memories of my life. So here are some of the most significant "happy" dates of my life:

11-27-79 I was born. I was brought into this world by a loving mother and father.

3-23-03 I received my endowment. Wonderful day.

4-25-03 I was married to Michael Ben Hohmann. Cold day - but a great one.

7-9-05 Rebekah Lynette was born and despite her birth defects, was so beautiful and perfect to me.

5-12-07 Patrick Benjamin was born. He had so much extra skin that we called him our "wrinkly man". He's certainly grown into his extra skin.

7 comments:

Walter and Lynsi Hohmann said...

Count your many blessings, name them one by one. That's what this reminded me of. You really do have such a beautiful little family. I feel blessed to be a small part of it. We miss you guys!! Tell the kiddos hello from their Aunt Lula and Uncle Walty!

Stephanie Ellinger said...

My husband and I were talking last night about our kids and "future" kids. We both agreed that after this experience with Nathan we're a little afraid of having more. Were you nervous after Rebekah was born with her condition if that would be a problem with others you had? Did you ever have a genetics consult? There are a team of doctors still trying to figure out if Nathan has some sort of sydrome.

I had to laugh at your dates; in a way your family is so close to mine. I was born November 29, 1980 and was married April 27, 2002.

And yes, when I had to prove Nathan was born I threw a fit over the birth certificates because I didn't want to pay that kind of money after we'd forked out so much money for his health care!

Mindy said...

When Rexburg had the hospital open house this year, we went to look at it. And then I asked special permission to show Hazel where she was born. I choked up too. All those memories!
Your wedding was beautiful! You're right about it being cold too, but we thought you wouldn't have noticed.

Generational stitcher said...

It's so crazy the things that choke us up as moms. Great memories! Glad you were able to get them! Go you!

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

That's cute that you thought of that getting the birth certificates. I still need to get one for L.!

Katie and Bryson said...

Uh-oh -- are you pregnant? That's when I start crying at random places :) Just kidding. Anyway, the Wicked pictures are great! It looks like you guys had a fun time and how fun to dress up fancy schmancy. I so want to go to that sometime!

Hannah said...

I received mine on 3-22... how crazy is that?