Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Year of a Million Dreams

That's the theme at Disneyland this year. So I wanted to share one of Rebekah's dreams come true with you in an attempt to begin to document our fabulous trip.

There is a place called Princess Fairyland (or something like that) in which you can meet the princesses. There are always three on hand - you never know which three - and there are constant coronations, storytimes, etc. going on. So we went to stand in the hour long line to wait our turn. But Ireanne (mikey's mom) went up to a cast member and said, "I have a granddaughter who's two and had three open-heart surgeries. She would really like to see Cinderella. Any of the princesses would do to give a hug to, but Cinderella is her favorite. Is there a way she could see Cinderella?" I wasn't sure if I should feel badly about using her heart as an excuse for a favor or not, but either way I bawled with the result. The cast member got us a special pass to go "behind the scenes" after the Royal Coronation. We pulled the curtain aside and there was Cinderella!!!

Rebekah was beside herself with joy! I was crying, Ireanne was sniffling and the men were grinning from ear to ear. It was a very special moment for us all. She gave Cinderella a hug and a kiss and received a hug and kiss in return. The red lipstick remained on her cheek the whole day. Cinderella taught her how to curtsey and tried to teach her how to say "How do you do?", but Rebekah just grinned absently at her. So here's one for the memory books!

9 comments:

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

That's such a sweet story you got ME crying. I don't think you should feel bad at ALL, she deserves a BIG treat in my opinion. Yay, I am happy for her and you:)!

Tiffany said...

What a special moment for her, one she will hopefully remember for years to come! She is so cute!

Mindy said...

That was such a great story that I think I might go have a grasshopper right now! Rebekah is a little princess.

Sarah Kathryn said...

Mike and Rachael,

Thank you for sharing! It's been so long since I we were all in San Angelo. You two were such amazing examples along with Scott and Alisha. Take care!

Sarah Becker

Stephanie Ellinger said...

That is a sweet story. I haven't made a big deal about Nathan's heart and other surgeries to other people. I met Liz Lemon Swindle (a famous LDS artist) through work. Her son mentioned he'd heard what Nathan had been through and they are working on getting me a picture of Christ with a child called "Friends". I didn't mean for it to happen, but it brought tears to my eyes that people really want to step out of their way to make things better for others. I'm soo glad that she could meet her favorite princess!

Walter and Lynsi Hohmann said...

I'm so happy Bekah got to meet her favorite princess! I can just picture her cute little face, big smile, and giggles. It sounds like you all had a blast on your trip. I'm so happy it worked out you were all able to go. I can't wait to see more pictures! Love you!

Stephanie Ellinger said...

Was it Liz's son, Steevun, who gave you the print? That's who I'm working with.

That's too funny!

Melyssa said...

Such a sweet story - what a special day for Rebekah!!! :)

Kat Curtis said...

oooh. I'm crying. What a neat experience. That is definitely one for the memory books!!