Friday, September 5, 2008

Little Insignificants and Big Vitals

The title refers to thoughts. I just found out this morning that a friend's baby was born with a congenital heart defect similar to Rebekah's. A flood of feelings and memories came. I was surprised that the most poignant one was happiness. I realized that although Rebekah's heart has been a bit like a nasty pimpel that won't go away, it's also been such a blessing in my life and in our family's existence. At this point, the triumphs and the joys outweigh the difficulties. I'm grateful for this trial in my life and for what I've learned so far because of it.
The picture is mostly for Jill. This was taken the day after Rebekah's second surgery. There are a lot of tubes and wires that I can't even identify. But she made it through and you wouldn't know today to look at her (picture below) that's she's been through that much. Modern medicine is really a lot of little miracles put into one field of study.
I also found out today that Rebekah qualifies for speech help from the school district. This means that we no longer HAVE to pay for her speech therapy. That is a great blessing. However, it also means that she will be leaving me for two hours twice a week to go to special ed. preschool!!! It hit me that she will be starting school and I sobbed for a few minutes. I wasn't starting her in preschool yet because I didn't feel she was ready for it and here we are! I suppose this is a little different from a typical preschool but it jolted me nonetheless.

Patrick is growing up so very fast. A few weeks ago Michael brought him down for church and this is what I saw:
I wasn't sure whether to shout "Yea!!" or to cry because I'm losing my little boy. (Sorry it's a tad fuzzy.)

7 comments:

Mindy said...

Woah, I do not know how you made it through all the the surgeries. Rebekah looks great now though. I bet she learns by leaps and bounds at preschool. It's wonderful to see your growth as a family too.
Just look at your little missionary! He is so cute! Michael should put his old tag on him sometime. :)

Stephanie Ellinger said...

The surprising thing is I remember all of those tubes and what they were for. That memory is still WAY TOO FRESH! You seem to be doing so well with everything.... and yes Tetralogy is quite the pimple!!!

Patrick is such a handsome little boy :) I agree that your husband should put his missionary tag on him!

I was going to mention this earlier but I think you should join the heart group at Primary Children's that was formed last fall. Its called Intermountain Healing Hearts (the link is on my blog). Its a free parent support group where the members help each other. You're handling life so well, you could really reach out and help so many other parents by your fantastic attitude and your experiences. I've met a lot of parents in the same boat that way and it makes me realize that while Nathan's had some serious struggles, it could have been A LOT WORSE! If you're interested let me know.

Tiffany said...

Oh she is a trooper and from the current picture you would never know what she's been through. I love how you are so positive through it all.

Generational stitcher said...

I couldn't even imagine going through what you did with Rebekah. As for the picture at the end...that is so cute! It's such mixed feelings to watch them grow up!

Jill said...

Thanks for the post, Rachael. I haven't really been checking others' blogs lately, so it took me a couple days to see your pictures. I appreciate your positive attitude towards me and what we have to do. I really is a comfort to me, really it is. I am so happy to have been able to keep a friendship with you over the years. As children who knew what we would need help with as mothers and who knew I would rely so much on your example of faith and endurance. Thanks so much. Thank goodness for the internet, huh? Keeps people far away and disconnected, connected. :) Your babies are darling!

Jill

Walter and Lynsi Hohmann said...

Rebekah is growing up to be such a beautiful little lady. I can't believe she's going to Preschool! She has been through so much, but continues to grow & develop into such a special girl. Patrick looks like a little man in the pic. They are both SO darling! We love & miss you all!

Hannah said...

Patrick and Eli are twins! I love that picture of the two of them. I can't believe that he is going to nursery soon... AHH!