Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Times I Laughed Today When I Really Shouldn't Have Wanted To:

1) I was leading Patrick to the car and was trying to help him avoid the covered-parking column. But, he was not paying attention enough to help me out and BAM! walked right into it. Fortunately, he didn't hit very hard. Just hard enough to stick his lower lip out in a pout and would have cried had I reacted differently. :)

2) I was late getting to the church and was feeling rushed. The first church door I tried was locked so we had to go around to another. Rebekah, of course, was trailing behind in order to "climb every mountain" (in a manner of speaking) and smell every flower. I started to shout "Come ON!!"
"I comin'!"
"Now!"
(louder and more convincingly) "I comin'!"
She begins to run towards me only to stop dead in her run and backtrack a few steps to pick a dandilion that had gone to seed. So sweet that I had to laugh even if I previously hadn't been in the mood to. Afterward, she had to stop again to avoid running through the flower bushes (if you can call them that here - they're more like flower cacti). Guess I can be grateful that she has gained an appreciation for plants and flowers?

3) I follow her act on the toilet (yet again). She cheers me on and trys to help me get my toilet paper. Then she states with much enthusiasm, "Mommy a-china! Mommy bottom!" (Lots of pointing to body parts with pride. She even patted my bottom to indicate where mine was properly located.)

She's learning so much that I hate to squelsh her, but I think I we'll have a few uncomfortable moments in the next few years if we can't curb her desire to share her newfound knowledge. :) In the meantime? I laugh.

7 comments:

Mindy said...

I've gotten so used to laughing a little (at least inside) when my kids run into things that I accidentally laughed in R.S. when a little boy (about Henry's age) biffed it. It wouldn't have been so bad except there I was totally laughing and everyone else in the room was saying, "Uhhhh, poor boy". Then I felt like maybe I was mean!
I love hearing your stories. Kids are funny.
PS. Milk the toilet thing for all you can. "Mommy did a good job going potty, now I get an M&M!" (Insert favorite candy here)

Generational stitcher said...

LOL!! Okay, My kids run into things when they aren't pay attention ALL the time. I still can't help myself, I laugh. Go you for laughing at the second one. I haven't reaquired my patience yet. As for 3, sometimes like you say, we just have to laugh :)

Kat Curtis said...

That's so funny! How can you not laugh when your kiddo runs into a pole? It's like the classic comedy blunder we've all grown up laughing at. I love that Rebekah had to go pick that flower. That's so great. Thanks for sharing your funny stories - it's always nice to get a laugh in the middle of the day.

Chris, Chrissy, & Landon said...

Hey, I just wanted to tell you that your blog is cool. I guess Mike and my husband know each other from Chris' mission to Peru. We have a blog too. We mostly have pictures of our little boy on our blog, but you can check it out if you want.

Hannah said...

I had to read the body part thing several times. I am pretty sure that I got it... and I... don't know what to think of my niece saying those things... haha

Emily Petty said...

Haha!

Mandie said...

Hey! You're coming to visit?! That's great! We hope to see you on Wednesday.