I've always wondered how a family began their traditions. Sure, they were handed down from previous generations, but they had to START somewhere. Right?
This is our first year without family within reasonable driving range and it's forced us to think of different family activities that are cheap, but fun for adults and kids. Being without any real traditions as of yet, we had to steal one that I'm sure will become a favorite for Halloween time: Making Donuts. Yes, last night we began something that was wonderful. We made donuts. We stole the recipe and tradition from my cousin's husband. I hope he doesn't mind. What's great is that we can improve on them year after year and this is something that the kids can help do and certainly help eat. We had a bunch of company over and we all enjoyed the making and eating of this festive treat.
3 comments:
Chad would say yes to this tradition in a heartbeat!
Part of tradition I think is habit. You have a turkey every year because your family did right?
I don't see many people putting candles on their Christmas trees but Christmas lights galore.
Canning food might have been out of necessity at one time because of harvest time, but now is unnecessary because of grocery stores, yet we might do it for fun, or tradition. You've given me something to think about that's for sure!
Ok..can you share?? I am such a donut freak it's sad...
I've always wanted to make donuts and I've thought about doing it in the next few weeks. That's what is fun about having your own family is making traditions of your own. We just started one that we are calling "Finger Food Friday." We make homemade pizza and eat other things that we just use our hands. Have fun!
Post a Comment