
I've never been what you would call a runner. But I've always enjoyed it here and there. Until this year I'd never run more than 1.5 miles at a time. (Okay, I ran 3 miles once 6 years ago.) Then I moved to St. George . . .
I think St. George has a way of pulling the runner out of you. There are many down here and I think it's because the weather is much more suited to running outdoors than many of the cooler places that I've lived. I've now met 2 die-hard marathoners, and 5-8 other people who are constantly training for some "race" JUST within my ward. When I got here I was determined to get in shape and began treadmilling so I could keep up with my kids. I had no specific goal - except that I wanted to be in good shape and keep up with my kids without huffing and puffing. Over the summer I was running 1.7-2 miles per day/5 days a week. Not bad for one whose never been terribly consistent. I was thinking that a 5k would be my max in life.
Now, I'm running with a group twice a week and they constantly push me to my limits. We went 4 miles today. (gag) I've never run for that long in my life. After this week is out I will probably have run a total of 12-13 miles!!! Yikes! But it's very hard for me. My motivation to get up in the morning is waning. My desire to keep my momentum up after mile 2 in the run each morning is dropping swiftly. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm cut out for this kind of running in the first place and also if I want to push myself that far. I know I CAN do it. I'm just not convinced that I WANT to do it. I suppose I'm also feeling a little guilty for always being the slowest in our group. (I know you're grateful for my slowness now Katie, but I think your pace will quicken much faster than mine because you want it to.) :) Besides, doesn't running shrink your boobs? I mean, honestly! Like I need help being smaller?!!
Disclaimer: I love all the people I run with and it will be no fault of theirs if I chicken out. I just may have to cut back. :)
8 comments:
No way! I'm SUPER impressed! Running is hard, but it gets easier the more you do it. I would run way more than I do if my knee didn't give me so many problems. I usually do the elliptical instead, but I don't see the results as quickly as when I'm running. Good luck! You can do it!!
Running is not for everyone.... If you don't enjoy it, I would not recommend keeping at it. Find something you really love to do, otherwise you will never stick to it. There are so many ways to exercise. I am personally not a fan of running, not because I don't like it but because of those weird exercise induced hives I get when I run (do you remember those?) - Anyway, if you enjoy it, keep it up, but if you don't, find something that you truly can be excited/motivated to do.
Hey, by any chance do you take any supplement vitamins? I am not a runner and will most like be dropping out of my proclaimed 5k (too much weight on me right now so when I run my shins and knees are KILLING me). However, I know with going to the gym and doing the eliptical I was getting even MORE tired throughout the day, and seeing even less and less energy until I started taking supplements (just a multi-vitamin, extra vit. c, fish oil, and flaxseed oil). The first two I am taking by recommendation from the Personal Trainer and the other two are personal reasons:). Anyway, I can see a world of difference when I am taking them! Just wanted to pass that by just in case it helped you. Whatever you do, you impressed me running that much!
1. I hope you're not referring to me as the "die-hard marathoner" because I think I am higher up on the die-hard donut-eater list (I have eaten more than 4 donuts in my life, actually more than 4 this weekend thanks to you).
2. Yes, if you keep running you will soon look like a pre-adolescent girl and will have to buy a training bra.
3. I like your self-portrait. Where have you been hiding those blue spandex pants?
4. You are welcome to cut back at any time silly, but we still know where you live.
Don't quit!! You're seem like one of the more strong-willed people I know, which means that you can totally "will" yourself into it. What a great social outlet too! You get to hang out with all the cool girls in the ward. I miss everyone a ton!! Live it up for me!
I read this a couple days ago and I had to laugh b/c that's exactly how I feel! I'm jealous you have buddies to keep you motivated and to prod you along. I don't have anyone but my kids,and I'm always getting after them for standing too close to the treadmill. Don't quit, maybe we can train together long distance then meet up and run a race together {or walk...} You can do it!!!!
Way to go on the runnning! I hated running my whole life until I had a friend get diagnosed with diabetes. He started running and invited me to join. Since then I've ran in nearly 30 races (5ks, 10ks, 1/2 marathons) and have definitely caught the "runner's bug". My body misses the "abuse" on days I don't run. I guarantee the more you run the more you'll like it.
Plus, you have the benefit of running with a group. I do all my training solo--the races are my "group" and signing up for at least one race a month is my motivator to keep going. Good luck with it all.
Wow - good for you - I must admit I've never really enjoyed running - but I do like hiking! However, runners are some of the most fit people I know, so I guess I would keep going if you can - if it was me I probably would have dropped out months ago.
Post a Comment