We got a lovely surprise a few weeks ago when Michael's parents called and said they wanted to fly us down to Texas to be with the family at the state fair! Our flights were longer than is usually desirable with two small children, but they did remarkably well.
It was wonderful to see Michael's family. We don't get to often because they/we are so far away. For one uncle, it was his first time seeing Patrick in person. 'Course Rebekah has grown sooo much since most everyone else had seen her, so this was a treat. I loved that my niece and nephews took to me almost as a second mother either because they knew their mom trusted me, or because I had the only other kids.
I've never been to another state fair. I didn't grow up doing the fair thing. But Michael did and he was so excited to take me to the state fair! Now realize folks that everything is big and overdone in Texas. The food for example: (if it could be fried, it was) fried twinkies, fried snickers, fried truffles, fried Dr. Pepper, fried pickles, fried PB & J, chicken fried bacon, etc. 'Course you also had the normal fair food on top of that. We only found three things that were remotely healthly: fruit cup, sliced apple with carmel poured over top, rice and beans. It was all good, but my body's going through detox at the moment. We didn't do many rides, but that was okay with us. Our highlights were seeing Rodney Atkins perform, going to the petting zoo, playing in the giant sandbox, and visiting the restroom many times. Rebekah didn't have a single accident on vacation!!! YEA!! But she didn't really like the airplane toilets. They were too loud when they flushed. I think it scared her. :)
I'll get pictures as soon as they're sent my way. Once again we were a bunch of mooches and didn't bother carrying our own camera around. We're so lazy.
4 comments:
I love the Texas State Fair - we went there a couple of years ago with my family and it was definitely big! Holy smokes. Did you actually try a fried twinkie? I haven't ever had one, but have heard that they're surprisingly good.
That sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck recovering from your fried-feast.
Oh man, you just brought back memories of when I was pregnant with Ethan. We went to the state fair in here in Az and I had a deep fried snikers....I was so worried I gave E. and myself a heart attack! What a fun trip for you all!
I'm so glad your family could be there with us. It wouldn't have been the same without you! It was so good to see you and Mikey and the kiddos. They're getting so big! Walt and I had a blast and we're missing everyone like crazy! Love you guys!
Post a Comment