Well, we've been home now for a tad over a week and seem to be doing well. We decided on a middle name the morning that we left the hospital. His name will be Andrew Bryce Hohmann. He was actually 6 lbs. 8 oz. so he's quite a bit smaller. Not such a tank. And he was 20" long. This was a hard delivery for me. Though I know a lot of wonderful women who have gone through C-sections (my mother included), and though I know it isn't true, I think there was a part of my brain that felt that somehow I had failed as a mother and a woman because of the section. I cried with gratitude and relief when I finally heard Andrew's cry. We didn't know why his heart rate was dropping so drastically during contractions and I had sudden fears that he would be another Rebekah scenario. Then in recovery I saw him for the first time - he was beautiful, calm, and safe. And I cried again. The anethesia had still not worn off so I only had use of my left arm. I felt so useless and helpless! I couldn't even hold him! A nurse had to help me latch him on for the first time because I didn't have full use of my arms! That was so very hard and humbling for me. I'm generally an independent female with a lot of energy. To be in such a physically dependent state was very hard mentally and emotionally. It still brings my feelings of inadequecy to the surface as I think about it.
Now that it's been a week my perspective is better. Mostly I'm grateful that we're both here and safe. I'm humbled that the Lord feels I'm strong enough to handle the situation and the emotions that come with it. I'm grateful that we are living with my mom so that my other two kids could be well cared-for between her and Michael. I have wonderful visiting teachers who have helped out more than they know. This has been and still is a tremendous learning experience for me. I hope I can glean from it what the Lord wants me to learn.
So here are a few more pictures:
Now that it's been a week my perspective is better. Mostly I'm grateful that we're both here and safe. I'm humbled that the Lord feels I'm strong enough to handle the situation and the emotions that come with it. I'm grateful that we are living with my mom so that my other two kids could be well cared-for between her and Michael. I have wonderful visiting teachers who have helped out more than they know. This has been and still is a tremendous learning experience for me. I hope I can glean from it what the Lord wants me to learn.
So here are a few more pictures:
In the meantime, I had a birthday on the 27th and turned the big 3-0. Am I supposedly mature now? Haha! Like that's ever going to fully happen. Michael took me to dinner that night without 2 of the 3 kids and we went to a Jon Schmidt concert the next night without ANY kids. It was very nice to be together. I can't imagine my life without my kiddies, but sometimes it's nice to get out and remember what it's like with just the two of you as a couple. I think I'll do another post soon about 15 vs. 30 years old. So much fun to look forward to!!
9 comments:
Congratulations on your new baby!! What a cutie!! I knew Micheal from DT days back at BYU. He would know me as Carrie Councilman (I'm Carrie Allen now). Then I randomly found your blog off a girl in my ward - Jill Papa! So I've been blog stalking you for a couple of months. Congratulations again. You have a beautiful family!
Such fun pics! Thanks for posting them (and happy bday). I've never had a C-section (so I can only sympathize and not empathize) but I say that a good mom is the mom who does whatever it takes to take care of her kids and that's what you did! Also, it cracks me up that Mike had to call and ask what to feed the kids for lunch :-)
Congrats again Rachael, he is a cutie! You are not alone with feeling inadequate as a woman because of a c-section! That's how I felt and nobody understood why, I still don't know what it's like to have a "natural" birth like I always dreamed! Like you said, both of my boys are here safe and healthy and I'm thankful for the technology we have to be able to say that! Hope you continue to have a healthy recovery!
Congrats on your new baby! With my first I ended up having a c-section. That became a MAJOR blessing to have a planned c-section for Nathan. I still had some of those same feelings that you did though about having a c-section in the first place.
Its good that Andrew is healthy (and adorable!). I still worry sometimes about having another baby and repeating Nathan. Not that I would ever want to change the situation because it was a HUGE learning, growing, maturing, and appreciating your spouse more experience... but it was very frightening too.
Good luck with the new baby! Get lots of sleep and do over due it for the next 6 weeks!
What an experience. I too am glad that you both made it out healthy & happy. :) He is darling (is it okay to call a boy darling? - well he is anyway) If you EVER need someone to watch your other two kids so you can have a break, call me. I am home all the time and more than willing to help you out. I also need your phone number. We got new phones and lost all our memory when we did that. Congratulations again! And Happy Belated Birthday! (Being 30 isn't so bad, once you get used to the idea)
Happy Birthday! It's fun to watch your family grow.
Michael looks so tired.... Poor guy! I need to get him some CHOCOLATE or something! ha! I love the pictures, though. So cute!
And 30.... SUCKER! ;)
Michael looks so tired.... Poor guy! I need to get him some CHOCOLATE or something! ha! I love the pictures, though. So cute!
And 30.... SUCKER! ;)
What a darling little baby - I can understand your deluge of feelings. My feelings about my birth experience, although not a c-section, were not so triumphant either. Hopefully this next one will be better. Happy Birthday too - I actually remembered it because I remember that it is the same as my sister!
Post a Comment