Friday, December 26, 2008

"We Must be Carriers of a Divine Message . . ."

I did it. I gave a Book of Mormon to my neighbor. They are very kind people and so tolerant of the noise my children make. Rebekah in particular needs to know they are watching her every move when they happen to be outside at the same time she is. Sometimes it's cute kids stuff, but sometimes I feel a little badly. I digress . . . A while ago our guy neighbor started talking to Michael more often than usual. Then one day he got very excited and showed both myself and Michael (on different occasions that day) his new bible. It was a different version than the one we read, but he was so excited to be "looking for God". He told Michael that he was born LDS, but never got the hang of the religion or religion at all. So it never stuck. So a week or two later when the RS asked someone to take a Book of Mormon to give to someone - I knew it needed to be me. I baked bread Christmas Eve and took it over with the book. I handed him the bread, wished him Merry Christmas and then said, "I know your searching for religion, so if your search ever takes you in this direction, I want to make sure you have one of these". He seemed genuinely grateful. And I was grateful for the positive experience of sharing something so dear to me.

8 comments:

Melyssa said...

Good for you!!! I hope that he finds God & with good examples like your family it will be easier for him to do so. :)

Carrie said...

Way to go. Thank you for the inpsiration to follow your good example.

Hannah said...

That's so cool. I just invited a girl I work with to go to church with me. We shall see if she goes with it. She is a minor... so that could pose as a problem..

Mindy said...

Awesome Rachael. You are a great example. Thanks for letting your light shine.

Liz said...

That is a wonderful approach. Thanks for sharing it.

Liz said...

That's a wonderful approach. Thanks for sharing it.

Kristen Brady said...

Way to go. It can be so scary sometimes, until you do it, and then you think, wow - that was great! Thanks for being an example to each of us this way too!

TheBaumanns said...

Wow, that's so awesome!! I need to focus more on being a member missionary. THanks for the example!!