Thursday, December 18, 2008

Winter Worries

I don't worry about tons - for the most part. And in regards to Rebekah, I can count on one hand how many times I've really been worried about her. But winter time always brings one of those worries back: the cold. We just got dumped upon (for St. George anyway). Rebekah is getting a warmer coat for Christmas, but I really want to wait to give it to her till then. In the meantime, all she has is a fleece coat. Not great for a child that has no extra body fat to keep her at a normal temperature when it's near freezing outside. I don't worry about it when we're just coming or going from the car. It's when she wants to go play outside or take a walk that I start to fret a little. I worry that the cold will seep quickly into her slim fingers and body to turn them blue. I worry that she won't know when to stop and her heart will have a hard time pumping the needed blood to her whole body. I worry that she'll get sick because of her weakened state and that we'll end up in the hospital again. So I guess my question is this: do any of you out there have similar worries for your children (with or without medical reason)? Am I being too obsessive with this and need to relax? Or do I just need to give her her warmer coat now and choose not to care about whether it's for Christmas or not?

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I think its normal to worry. I worry about my kids. one has an eye problem. I always worry she is sitting to close to something or tilting her head weird. That she will need surgery again.
I always worry about them being warm enough especially when we go outside. Especially at school when I can't be there to make sure they have their coat and gloves on.
I think maybe I would give her the coat early if the next week is going to be really cold. Maybe wrap it up and say "because it was cold, you can open this early" It would be hard because we only got the kids stocking stuff and one other gift, but they still have stuff to open from family. Or you could let her wear it and then just wrap it up again on the 24th depends if she would notice.

Jessica

Shawna said...

if you are really worried about her being cold and you don't want give her a coat...layer her up. long sleeve, then short sleeve or short sleeve then sweater then the fleece jacket..or do you have 2 jackets that she can wear at the same time?? Layering is so in!

Katie Phillips said...

I think your worries are genuine. If it's cold and she's going to be outside for more than a few minutes then I'd give her the coat now. (Don't let her see you open the present, or that might be all she wants to do until the big day!) I worry about the kids being too cold, too. It makes me feel bad when the kids get cold! I hate being cold! I was thinking about The Christmas Story when the mom bundled up her kid so much that he couldn't move, and I was thinking that I'm grateful that I'm not quite that paranoid! But, I am a little paranoid...

Jill said...

I'm like you. I worry about EVERYTHING! I would have given her the coat, too. But, not if it was her only Christmas present. If that were the case, I would wait & layer her up. :)

Darrel Hohmann said...

I'm 55 and still worry about all my kids and grandkids. It's part of the "Mom" and "Mimi" job description! You'll know which part is yours and which part is Heavenly Father's by the Holy Spirit. You have always had that gift and I love you for it.

Mom, aka Mimi