Monday, April 23, 2012

Do You Like Your Neighbor?

Apparently our neighbor doesn't like us very much.  At least that was the impression she gave me a few days ago.  (Granted, each time our children have seen her in the last month with a cigarette in her mouth they have bravely told her that smoking is bad for her and that she shouldn't be doing it. HA!)
I was outside with the two boys and a friend's two boys that I was watching.  Suddenly her garage opened up and out she came.  I greeted her friendly and after returning my hello she told me she had a "request".  Would I keep my children out of her landscaping?  They put a lot of money into it and don't want to have it ruined.  And don't let them put their fingers through the fence because she didn't know what the dogs would do to them.
Inside I was surprised to say the least.  I've tried hard to be very considerate and respectful of the property boundaries, but I have CHILDREN and we're in a residential NEIGHBORHOOD for Heaven's sake.  Children wander and there are some battles that are not worth fighting.  Apparently, she doesn't like my choice of battles.  Fortunately, I held my tongue and politely told her I'd be happy to do that.
She went right back inside amidst Patrick telling her once again that smoking is bad for her, closed the garage door and was gone. 
I'm still a little agog that she chose now of all times in the last year to come tell us what frustrating neighbors we are.  Let's just say that they use their front door so infrequently that there are spiderwebs covering it.  I'm pretty sure that they are the neighbors who told our landlord when we'd bought a trampoline and tried to get us to take it down.  Regardless, I'm grateful I had enough of my head about me to keep my mouth shut and remain polite.  I'm glad we're moving in a month...

2 comments:

chelsea mckell said...

Ha! Yeah, we can relate here with intolerant neighbors. I think some people have either forgotten, or never personally experienced what normal kid behavior is. Good for you for not engaging in any contentious conversation! I'd be tempted to tell her to just go smoke away her uptight self. Good luck with the move! Moving is a PAIN (not that I need to tell you! ha!)
ps - cross your fingers for us. Brian has a big interview Wednesday with the Remarketing department. I'm not sure what they do exactly... except way less hours, possible better pay, and no more moving every 18 months! whoohoo!

Derek and Amanda said...

Ew. Gross neighbors. Way to go for keeping quiet. I don't know that I could have. That's frustrating.