Friday, April 27, 2012

My Edifying Morning

I wish I could say that it started with scriptures or prayer, but it didn't.  Still getting to that. 
I woke up earlier than normal to help a friend get ready for her daughter's wedding.  The daughter herself was perfectly capable to take care of herself (as was my friend), but there were 6 younger siblings - two of which were girls with beautiful long hair.  I volunteered to help there.  I'm not a professional, but I do a decent job with girls under 12.  Now I wish I'd taken pictures.  I also ended up helping a cousin who was about 18.  It was fulfilling and I felt that they really appreciated it. 
But I'm not writing this to brag.  There were a couple of things I took away from the morning.
1) Everybody needs help every once in a while.  And everybody needs the chance to serve in whatever capacity they are able to do so.  Like I said, I'm not a professional.  This was the first time I've ever done something like that.  But it felt good to be able to help in that way and everyone looked beautiful for the wedding by the time we were finished.
2)  I'd forgotten how fresh and crisp early morning air and ambiance can be.  I don't love being out that early, but it's good for the soul and the body.  There were many times I missed the bus in my younger years because I stopped to literally smell the flowers or enjoy the air.  Then in college I savored most the mornings walking to school in the early hours.  The brisk walking kept me warm and the cold air cleared my head and my lungs.  I was always in a good mood by the time I reached class.  I need to get back into that kind of habit.
3)  There is joy in serving.  I know my friend greatly appreciated the help I was able to give.  I think the girls felt beautiful.  And though I'm exhausted from my early rising, I feel that if I don't accomplish any other task for the rest of the day, my day will have been a good and successful day in the eyes of the Lord.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

So I remember the night before you got married and you asked me to do your hair. I was honored and FREAKED OUT!!! You were nice to like what I did with your hair. I wish I was a professional so I could have done more justice... God will continue to bless you for going with the flow and being a grateful and gracious person. LOVE YOU!!!

Derek and Amanda said...

Yay I love this. Good for you. I feel like serving is hard to follow through with cause there a million "good" excuses, but when followed through, I'm oh so happy. Thanks for this!